DVI signal adapter for VGA TV input?

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
This may sound a like a stupid question, but here goes. I really hope someone can shed some light on this for me, as I am clueless in these things. I greatly appreciate any and all responses.

I have an older Pioneer TV that has a VGA input. A few years ago, I hooked up a friends Motorola Hi-Def receiver to it, and it worked okay. (So I know it can recieve and display a signal).

The question:

Can I get some sort of adapter that will allow me to use a DVI signal from my new DVD player? (The idea being that the DVD player will upconvert the signal into the set, because I don't have a player that will do it over the component outputs...)

Is it going to be necessary for me to get an expensive conversion box to do this? If so, I don't know if that will yield a better picture...

Here's one "adapter" I was thinking of:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300576

HELP!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Unlikely. Those DVI-VGA adapters are for DVI-I or DVI-A outputs which allow for analog output (RGB) via the DVI plug/cable. I am not aware of any DVD players that do this, and likely your dvd player just has a regular DVI-D output which is a digital output. To go to analog from that you'd need a DAC, and it is likely the DVI output is HTCP protected so that may be a problem.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Oppo 971H has unencrypted DVI. I had it hooked up to a non-HDCP WXGA lcd for a time. The big problem is that there are two types of DVI-- DVI-I, which is analog + digital, and DVI-D, which is digital only. Most of consumer electronics with digital outputs use DVI-D or HDMI.

You can probably get a non hdcp adaptor for a couple hundred bucks. HDCP "compliant" ones can also be had, but they may be vulnerable to key revocation.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper