DVI retro-fit feasible?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Warren VUR, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Warren VUR

Warren VUR Auditioning

Hi all,
    Is it feasible to retro-fit DVI to my gear (Sony VPL-VW10HT lcd projector, HD STBox, DVD player.) I am pretty happy with what we've got and do not wish to replace just to get this feature?
    Thanks in anticipation

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

"I am pretty happy with what we've got and do not wish to replace just to get this feature"

-I think you just answered your own question. Why do you feel the need to retrofit? Are you looking at a new piece of equipment that has DVI capability to it? Even if there were some way to "retrofit", it would just be a workaround and wouldn't replicated a true signal.

3. Warren VUR

Warren VUR Auditioning

Hi Mathew,
    "Even if there were some way to "retrofit", it would just be a workaround and wouldn't replicated a true signal."

I'm no electronics expert, but I know the gear has a digital signal in there somewhere ahead of the D/A converter, and I want to tap into it. I reckon it has to be the truest signal too, or at least truer than the "anal"ogue once through the converter.

Here's where I am coming from.

Ever since I became aware that the inexpensive Bravo DVD player, using its DVI to a LCD projector (a true digital display device), gives a better pic than an exotically-priced Denon with analogue output only, I thought hey, an upgrade to the BEST costing $100’s instead of changeover to new costing $1000’s, IF I can somehow bypass the A/D & D/A converters in everything.

It also appealed to the purist in me i.e. preserving the signal in the digital domain all the way from source to display keeps all sorts of degradation out of it.

I think the only reason existing gear has the D/A output section is to cater to all the present analogue gear it needs to connect to. Once everything is digital, the makers will leave it out, with simpler design, lower cost and better pic. Software will replace hardware, and software is easily tweaked for improvements and extra features.

I am in fact going thru the process of computer upgrade, and the video-card will certainly have two DVI’s, and one thing there I would like to do is input to it from my HD-STBox. By so doing I am well on the way to a PVR. THEN if I can fit DVI to our projector (Sony LCD ‘10HT), I expect the ultimate pic too.

4. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

I AM an electronics expert. ;-) I used to design LCD monitors, and I've used DVI.

PC- You are not going to be able to capture HD video from your STB, DVI or component. The data rates are just too high. DVI is not bi-directional- those two ports on the video card are OUTPUTS.

Projector- This one is a lot more do-able, as long as you are willing to forfeit HDCP. It would be a hack, but it could be done. It would also cost a good bit. You would need to develop a pcb to hold the SiI receiver, then figure out how to get the digital signals down to the original PCB. There probably isn't a simple connector. If you are willing to sacrifice the RGB input it would be simpler.

STB and DVD- these put out component video, right? DVI is effectively RGB. You'd need to transcode as well as do the work I listed under projector.

All in all, lots of work. If you were a knowledgeable electonics hobbiest with good fine pitch soldering skills and time to kill, I'd say go for it. Otherwise. . . probably not the best idea.

Markd

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    While we're at it, how does one achieve the 1280x1024 maximum resolution of the projector?

6. Warren VUR

Warren VUR Auditioning

Hi MarkDesMarais. Thanks for that info. It was not what I (or a few other people too I guess)was hoping to hear, but it was exactly what I wanted to know.
    What a pity too that HD data rates are too high to capture (I presume that's at present). I was also wondering about those DVI's on the video card & whether they were two-way. Your answer has been invaluable

Now Neil Joseph. You asked "how does one achieve the 1280x1024 maximum resolution of the projector? " I am sorry, but I must plead ignorance here (too). Firstly I am not sure if you question is connected to the DVI retrofit issue. I can say however that p.26 of the proj manual has a table mentioning that resolution, but I have never fully understood it all, but presume that if the appropriate signal is fed then it can be at least handled.
    I will look at your holodeck, DIY screen etc later. BTW I made my screen (2m high) from melamine laminate which came in a big enough length for a seamless 16:9, has a very slight gloss for just the right amount of gain, very pure white AND is formed on a frame into a shallow horizontal curve. It is also a practical rugged surface. I'm happy.