DVI question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nick L, May 28, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

If I understand it correctly, when using a DVI to connect a componant to your tv, all the data is sent digitally. If that is correct, if you had a dvd player sending movies to your tv via DVI, would your tv then be doing the line doubling. Or would the dvd player send all that data over already doubled? Or am I totally confused?

Thanks
    Nick

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

That depends entirely on the resolution of the signal and it will be treated exactly like a signal received by component video or any other input. That means, for most HD sets, 480i will be converted to 480p (or 540p depending on the set), 480p will be passed through (or converted to 540p) and 1080i will be passed through.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It can happen either way.

There is a new Samsung HD-931 (hope I got that right), that takes a DVD and can produce 480, 720, 1081 and send it over the DVI cable to the television. The advantage to this is the DVD player keeps the video as a digital signal the entire time.

Your normal DVD system takes the digital bits from the disk, converts them to analog which you send to the televisionn with analog cables. The television now converts the analog signal BACK to digital, does scaling, 3:2 pulldown, stretch, etc., then converts it back to analog for final display.

These conversions are considerd bad.