DVI question...worth it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevinkall, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I currently have the Zenith C27V36 HDTV with the Toshiba SD-3900(progressive scan) dvd player hooked up with component cables. I watch dvds in 480p mode.

Since I have an DVI input on my tv, would I benifit in a dvd player with DVI out? Also would I notice much of a difference with 1080i over 480p on a 27" screen?

I'm interested in getting the Samsung HD931 dvd player, if there wold be a noticable difference in picture quality.

2. Lamar

Lamar Auditioning

I have a Toshiba 50HDX82 and a RP-82 that just died. So I went to BB and picked up the Samsung 931, I played Monsters Inc. first and it looked very impressive. I then put in Star Wars II, the Matrix and the Fifth Element, What a letdown. The picture had great color, but it was very, very grainy. I kept it for a couple of days hoping I might get used to it, but it just bothered me too much and I brought it back. Who knows the new players may be much better? I hope so.

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I pretty happy with the picture quality that I have now(big improvement over what I had before). Always looking for something better. The upgrade bug just won't leave me alone. [​IMG]

4. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

Might want to compare it your rig to a computer running DVI to a LCD.

I've not done that yet but it would be interesting [​IMG]

The bug is fun though!

rogo

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

If only my PC had a DVI out. [​IMG]

I'm thinking that since I only hvae a 27" set that the difference isn't going to be that noticable, thus not worth the price of the upgrade.