DVI question... Please help

Ashley Wilbanks

Auditioning
Okay I just bought a Toshiba HD-A1 DVD player. It looks outstanding by the way! I had it connected to my Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector via Component cables. Well I wanted to see how my regular DVD's looked upconverted, so I bought a DVI/HDMI cable. Well I get an error on the DVD player and no picture. I looked through the manual on the projector and apparently it has a DVI-I connector the cable is a DVI-D cable. Can I buy a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter or do I need a whole other cable? Thanks...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I remember having a problem with my RCA 257n. I had HDMI to DVI.. it would lose the picture when I would upconvert.. then I would unplug it and plug it back in.. then it would work.. still a pain in the butt to do that with every movie.
could that help?

Jacob

Ashley Wilbanks

Auditioning
nah I have already tried that. I am thinking that since the output on the projector is DVI-I, and my cable is a DVI-D that that is the problem. I am just hoping that I can buy an adapter (DVI-I to DVI-D) and that will fix it rather than buying another cable...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
right.
good luck
I ended up getting an oppo 971 which is dvi to dvi.. works much better.

Jacob

Arjan S

Agent
My limited understanding is that there are 3 types of DVI cable. 1) DVI-A for analog signals, 2) DVI-D for digital signals and 3) DVI Integrated (DVI-I) which can carry both types of signals, analog and digital. If this is true then a DVI-I to DVI-D converter might not make a difference, since DVI-I is supposed to carry all types of DVI signals already. But you might want check with a professional cable person just to be sure since i do not have any real life experience with such a problem.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
No direct experience myself, but here's some discussion of the different DVI connections at this link that may help some.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els