DVI or Component DVD - Which is better with HDTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt*B, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Quick question. I am confused between 2 setups as to which one gives a better signal. I am interested in which is better for HD CRT big screen as well as HD DLP widescreen. Which is better:

1)Progressive scan DVD player hooked up via component video cables

Or

2)A DVD player that “up converts” to 1080 connected with the HVI video cable…

I am interested in which is better for CRT and DLP….

Thanks a ton!!

Matt

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

For the CRT display ... there is nothing definitive. Try both ... since the projector has to ultimately show whatever you give it as analog anyway.

For the DLP projector ... it depends on the quality of the DVD player signals. Just upconverting to 1080 guarantees nothing. It also depends on how different the inputs are set up on the projector. And just equalizing the user settings is not enough to equalize this difference.

Regards

3. John S

John S Producer

In theory....

Component and DVI should be no different on the CRT based display.

DVI should be better than Component on the DLP upconverted to 720p at the source.

In reality.....

So many factors involved that one should try both, and even different scaled resolutions from the source to see which is best.

The particular DVD player can often times be better with one over the other and have the greatest factor on what actually gets to your eye as well.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Another factor may include future preefing your setup with HDDVD coming up and the lack of evidence of full HD video on component due to unresolved pirating issues.