What's new

DVI - neccessary? (1 Viewer)

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I am just now becomeing educated about DVI. I have questions:

1) will people not be able to see anything about 480p w/out DVI? Now or in the future?

2) Will DVI affect off-the-air feeds and how we see them? In other words, Will *all* Hi-def feeds require it?

3) Why are there hi-def sets coming out now - ie Pan wx42/52 line - which are not upgradeable to DVI despite it being such an important feature (for better or for worse)?

Overall I'm still in the dark as to what kind of impact DVI will have. If it's not in use now, too, what is copy-protecting the stuff broadcast now?

I'm interested in any thoughts on the issue.

Thanks,

N

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The answer is "Maybe yes and yes"

In reality, PPV and channels like HBO will probably require DVI for HD feeds. Other stations? depends on the event, but I doubt it

Chet Hayes

Agent
1) will people not be able to see anything about 480p w/out DVI? Now or in the future?

Not anything, just whatever specific programs wind up using DVI/HDCP. Nothing is currently using it and it's not clear what will in the future. Speculation is things like PPV, HD-DVD's...

2) Will DVI affect off-the-air feeds and how we see them? In other words, Will *all* Hi-def feeds require it?

Unlikely for OTA and probably unlikely for many other feeds as well.

3) Why are there hi-def sets coming out now - ie Pan wx42/52 line - which are not upgradeable to DVI despite it being such an important feature (for better or for worse)?

That's a good question you'd have to ask Panasonic. Mistubishi is pushing Firewire instead, which is their reason.

Then there is the issue of 3 Mil sets being out there that were sold as HDTV ready and do not have DVI. Many feel that this will mean that DVI/HDCP will never be able to be used, as it would mean that those sets could not be used to view HDCP material at HD resolution.

It's anybody's guess as to how this will sort out, especially in view of the fact that the FCC is just starting to hold hearings on the issue of copy protection.

And the FCC is unsatisfied about how fast HDTV is becoming a reality. Is it any wonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks