What's new

DVI input and RPTV (1 Viewer)

Rikk B

Grip
I am considering getting the Mitsu 55511 and I am concerned about the debate over the DVI input. What effect will this have if I get this television, if any???? What is the big deal with DVI anyway??

From what I have been told, I can get my local channels with a powered antenna, does this sound correct??? I am not far from the broadcast towers in the area.

Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Short Answer: Dont let DVI be a factor in your purchase.

The DVI cable is a DIGITAL connection between say your Tuner, DVD player or HD-VCR and the television.

It would be technologically superior to keep the signal as purely digital. With an analog feed, the television has to:

- do an analog->digital conversion
- perform processing on the video
- Convert the digital back to analog for final display

A digital feed eliminates that extra analog->digital conversion. This could result in less artifacts, less dependency on high-bandwidth cables & connectors, etc.

But: there are 2 other proposed standards for this connection. This included FireWire and IEEE 133..4 (??). And since there is no one standard, the support for all 3 types is still first-generation.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Bob your correct in that there is another digital connection besides DVI-HDCP, but this connection is IEEE 1394a which has an unofficial name of Firewire. Eventually even the companies that market IEEE 1394a equipment started using either Firewire as the name or ILink which Sony uses. IEEE 1394a, Firewire, and ILink are the same connection (technically ILink doesn't power the devices it's connected to but besides that is the same). A improved version of IEEE 1394a has been announced called IEEE 1394b which has faster speeds over 400 Mbps at longer distances. Considering that 40 Mbps is the largest data rate that ATSC receivers can process then the faster speed is for computer needs. Firewire can only transfer MPEG-2 data on HDTV's while DVI-HDCP can do uncompressed video. In the long term uncompressed video is more future proof though only Firewire is used for recording.

I recommend that any HDTV you get have a DVI-HDCP/HDMI connection since this is the one that Hollywood studios want. HDMI is an improved version of DVI-HDCP that is backward compatible and in addition to video carries audio and control data. All major manufacturer's will have either DVI-HDCP or HDMI on their new HDTV's this year. This includes even Mitsubishi which has been the most vocal supporter of Firewire as reported in this Twice article. The best solution if you live in an area with HDTV broadcasts would be a HDTV with both Firewire and DVI-HDCP/HDMI. The choice of HDTV's that include both inputs are VERY limited now but several models from several manufacturers will include both in this years HDTV models.

Users who are viewing this thread