Dvi-i to component

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DonnyD, Jun 2, 2006.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Having an early model tv that is HD ready but only has component inputs, I've been limited to the dvd player I can use. Will the DVI-I to component conversion cables work well and allow me to upconvert out of a dvd player with DVI-I output? Somebody fill me in before I buy something that won't work.......

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Are you sure it's DVI-I? It may have the analogue pins, but on most DVD players, they are disabled. DVI-I connectors are often installed because they are cheap and compatible with existing cables.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

It is my vid card (puter) that is DVI-I.... forgot that the dvd players are DVI. There are listings on several cable sites showing the adapter; just wondering if they would work on a player such as the upconverting players that only allow use of dvi for upconverting..... thanks.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Technically it's DVI-D.

In terms of pins,
    DVI-D is digital.
    DVI-A is analog.
    DVI-I is both.

I think the NeuNeo players upconvert over component (and VGA, for what that's worth). I don't know about their video quality, though.

You can also find DVI to component transcoders, but those don't usually work with HDCP.