Dvi-i/d/

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Merimac Hamwich, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

I have become confused by the different types of DVI cables.

What are the differences?

For example, the Panasonic PT-L500U takes DVI-D in, the Sanyo PLV Z2 takes DVI-I in and the Samsung "HD" DVD player has a DVI outpu (don't know which type). So lets say the Samsung is DVI-I.

Would that mean that you could not connect the Samsung DVD player to the Panasonic Projector?

Does the I/D mean anything, or are the cables used for them identical, and it is just the output that is different, say Interlaced and digital?

I am totally lost and would appreciate help.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

DVI-I can carry analog or digital signals.

DVI-D can only carry digital signals.

In general, it's best to simply use DVI-D cabling.

3. Merimac Hamwich

Ok.

So is there just one DVI cable for use? Or are there two or more types? Could I use a DVI-D cable with the DVI-I Sanyo?

4. BruceCampbell

BruceCampbell Auditioning

DVI-I is Dual signal, Analog (DVI-A) and Digital (DVI-D). It will run One or the other or both.

5. Merimac Hamwich

So I can get a DVI-I cable in which both the male and female ends are DVI-I, and it will transmit a signal from a DVI-I(orD) source(fit in the plug-slot) to a DVI-D(orI) source(fit in the plug slot)?

I don't have to get some fancy cable with a DVI-I end and a DVI-D end? Basically what I am asking is, will a DVI-I cable fit in a DVI-D slot? Or are there special cables for each type? I am assuming there is no difference between the ends, but that hasn't been cleared up.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

No: [​IMG] a DVI-D plug will fit in a DVI-I slot, but not the reverse. Note the four pins around the wider "tab" in the DVD-I, which are not present with DVI-D.

Basically, if you're using the DVI connection for its digital signal, always use DVI-D cables. Some connections, like on monitors, are only digital, and don't accept DVI-I cables. DVI-I cables are only used if (a) the source contains an analog signal in addition to digital, which means that (b) it has a DVI-I connection, and (c) you want to carry that analog signal.

7. Merimac Hamwich

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks Ken.
    [​IMG]