What's new

DVI HDCP DVD down rezzing (1 Viewer)

BaN

Grip
Hi all,

Any inputs about my assumptions are greatly appreciated as I'm experimenting with my first venture into the HTPC world.

If I play a DVD movie on a PC connected to my plasma via a DVI (no HDCP) port, the plasma will display the movie at 480p resolution no matter how I tweak my graphics card to work at the plasma's max native resolution which is 1280x768?

Analog VGA connection (instead of DVI) doesn't down rez with the same setup?

TIA,
BaN

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Since no one else has stepped in, I will venture an idea. It is my understanding that CSS forbids the output of an encrypted DVD at any resolution higher than 480p. The VGA connection is not considered in this limitation since it is not considered an "output" ; probably since it is not in a recordable format. You might try it with a non-encrypted DVD ( Dark Star by Dan O'Bannon is one, I believe). This restriction has been discussed on the Sigma Designs board ( Xcard and Hollywood+ decoder cards)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I can watch a DVD at 1600x1200 on my new Dell 20" LCD screen using DVD-D input. I believe the DVD software (PowerDVD 3.0) is blissfully unaware that my monitor is connected using DVD-D. And that's how it should be. CSS be damned. What's wrong with outputting at a higher resolution than 480p? It's not like we are somehow getting a higher quality picture than what it actually on the disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks