DVI for PC to RPTV

Discussion in 'Computers' started by scottS, Nov 13, 2003.

1. scottS

scottS Extra

I have a Pioneer Elite Pro 530HD RPTV that has DVI w/HDCP inputs. I'm thinking of getting an ATI AIW card, but can't tell if the DVI out on this card can be accepted by the Pioneer without having some sort of HDCP circuitry. Anyone got the dope on this?

scott s.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Try AVSforum.com, if it will be a problem they'll have an answer or two.

3. Jason X

Jason X Auditioning

You'll be fine. The HDCP is only needed in the tv if the output is HDCP encoded. Since all PC cards put out non-HDCP signals, it can be read by any DVI equipped device, whether it is HDCP enabled or not.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so you're saying any tv with a dvi input, can display a pc image? as long as the video card has a dvi output?

cool....

5. scottS

scottS Extra

Thanks. Now, my problem is i kind of like the AIW
    9600 pro, but it only has VGA out. I don't really want to spend $300 +. Initially, I don't plan to drive my Pioneer with a computer graphics card, but I am interested in the possibilty downstream, maybe as a PC based Tivo-like system. Especially if these small form factor computers take off. A mother board, huge hard drive, DVD burner, and all in wonder style graphics board would go a long ways towards a home brew HTPC, without what may be a lame MS windows operating system.

scott s.

6. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

scottS,

Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but anything that you can cature with an AIW (as an analog source capture device), you won't want to watch on your Pioneer...

It's pretty buggy with analog source capture.

I have an older AIW and it is fantastic for digitizing video tape from analog camcorders, but the proprietary ATI codecs leave a lot to be desired.

After a couple of years farting around with analog capture, I am convinced that digital transfer is the way to go.

I'm just trying to save you some grief.. my $.02