DVI DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter.LeBlond, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Peter.LeBlond

I asked about this about six weeks ago and I just wanted to double check to see if anybody had heard if there have been any DVD players announced to be released soon with DVI ouput. I will be getting another DVD player to go into my new projector which has a DVI input, and would be really sad if I get a unit now, if there is a DVI compatible player being released in the next few months. Thanks in advance.

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Was rumored that Pioneer Elite was gonna release one but have heard nothing for a few months it was supposed to replace the Dv-38a I think it was gonna be called dv-49dvi but I haven't heard anything for a while. If i remember correctely they where showing a dvd player connected through DVI at the 2002 CES last January but maybe it was iLink.

Daniel Smith

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

4. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Daniel what's the difference between a DVI connection & Ilink?

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Stan,

DVI stands for Digital Video Interface and is currently the connection on computers for digital monitors like LCD displays, and is available on most high end graphic cards. DVI has the ability to pass high-def video uncompressed in a secure encoded transmission. iLink also known as Firewire and IEEE 1394 has a transfer rate of 400Mb/s and is currently only being used to digitally transfer audio such as DVD-A and soon will most likely carry SACD as well in a secure format. I think with a bandwidth of 400Mb/s iLink would be capable of transferring uncompressed audio and video through one cable but is only being used for audio purposes. DVI is for video only and iLink is currently in HT for audio only actually now that I think about it I think the D-theater format is capable of recording video through an iLink connection though iLink is used to transfer digital video from digital camcorders to computers and for digital camcorders to some dvd recorders. But in HT iLink is now only used to transfer audio between HT components.

Daniel Smith

6. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

Firewire (which is called iLink by Sony) is also used to transfer the video and audio streams from DV camcorders onto computers for editing. Just about any DV camcorder on the market today has a Firewire/IEEE 1394/iLink connector on it.

It is one of the things that has made digital video so easy and affordible. It also won a technical emmy award for Apple Computer, it's inventor.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Current single link DVI has a bandwidth of 1.65Gb/sec (1650 Mb/s), and dual link has 3.3Gb/sec.

8. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

DVI-D is DVI Digital, not DVI dual-link.

But yes, dual link DVI is backwards compatible with single link.

10. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

When they do develop HD-DVD, do you think that they will require firewire or DVI? (I just bought an RPTV which has neither).

N

11. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

well I just read about DVI equipped dvd players and it doesn't look to promising if the Motion Pictures Assoc. of America (MPAA) starts to wave its ugly legal stick. [​IMG]
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/...nnection.shtml