DVI-D, is this stuff any good>

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Carl I, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Carl I

Carl I Extra

A bit late on my asking, but I bought a new DVD player the other day, and it had the DVI-D cable for it and my HDTV. I have been having problems getting it working right so far, as when I plug it in, I lose the ability to adjust my black levels and anything dark in color turns to all black. Scenes such as the worm attack in Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones is barely visible at all with all of the blacks.

My question is this: is the DVI-D cable really worth it? Or at this point should I just give up on the thing and return it for a nice player without it? The player I bought won't do the Progressive scan thing without the cable, so if the cable won't let me get away from the black as tar blacks, and I have to use components, it seems silly to have paid what I did pay for a player that doesn't even use Progressive scan. BUT if there is just some little thing I am missing out on this, and the DVI cable is that great, then I will keep trying to figure it out. I do have a month to mess with it.

Thanks for the time. [​IMG]

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Some dvd players do not pass blacker than black via HDMI/DVI. Your dvd player is probably the case. Progressive scan should still work thru component though. Upscaling likely won't happen w/o going thru your DVI input.

3. Carl I

Carl I Extra

I guess my noobie shoes are REALLY shiney, as I am a little lost on what you mean. What do you mean it won't pass blacker than black? If by that you mean that it won't give me shades of black, then why the heck would anybody want to buy one of these things??? That seems like a REALLY stupid fault, and how anybody could pass that off as a "best picture" available is beyond me, as my $50 Daewooo I bought 4 years ago looks MUCH better than that! Now seriously, when I use components, it looks better even than with this silly DVI plug. If using the DVI plug is giving me what HD is all about, then I am baffled, as it looks like monkey doo.

I must be doing something wrong. Do one of you find folk want to come over and set my stuff up? I feel like such a maroon.

Thank you for the time,
    Carl

4. John S

John S Producer

use your component video, if the blacks meet your approval call it all good.

Component Video is good enough for 480p(ED) and all current flavors of real HD.

5. Carl I

Carl I Extra

But then I spent a buncha money that I really didn't need to spend, or so it seems. I bought this:

Samsung DVD-HD841 (sorry, I went to post the addy to a site with the DVD player on it but am not allowed to link due to being a noob, but it was bought at Circuit City).

and paid $159.99, so is that a good deal even without the fancy ol' cable ya think?

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Do you have to reset your TV's picture settings when you switch to a new (the DVI) input? Hook up the DVI and run through your AVIA (or Sound&Vision) and make sure that the TV doesn't re-set itself to some wacky setting with the new input.

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Perhaps the fault lies with your TV, and not with the DVD player. What model is it?

Also, the DVI output can produce a variety of resolutions. Have you tried them all?

In the words of the immortal manual

Hmm. Something's off. Perhaps I'll send Mr Samsung a copy of Strunk and White.
    The manual also implies (for the author can do no more) that component cables can transmit a 480p signal.

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Carl, I have the same Samsung player hooked to my RCA HD RPTV via the DVI output. The Sammy can indeed produce all those resolutions and will do 480p over either the component or DVI cable. However, the player will upconvert a 480i DVD to 720p, 768p and 1080i only over the DVI connection. My RCA only supports 480p and 1080i so I can only watch upconverted DVDs in those resolutioins. The only drawback to the player that many have posted is the inability to display subtle black patterns over the DVI connection. This is called "black crush" although I don't really notice it on mine. It supposedly doesn't crush blacks over the component connections though. You can adjust the contrast and brightness settings on the DVI input on the TV to minimize this problem with blacks. I am really happy with the player and did have some issues with it before I installed the latest firmware upgrade. This upgrade can be had at www.samsung.com and there are instructions on the website that steps you through the upgrade on the player. The player will also play SACD discs and DVD-A audio and considering that it comes with a DVI cable (some stores charge as much as 100 bucks for one), and the SACD playback as well as the upscaling, the money you paid for the player is well worth it. BTW, the player, without the firmware upgrade has problems with DTS track audio dropouts, but that and a couple of other issues are fixed with the upgrade. It has become fashionable to bash this player by certain members of this and other forums, but it has worked well for me and I really enjoy it.[​IMG]

9. Carl I

Carl I Extra

Chuck, thanks for the info!!! I did get it working last night, and the blacks are better now than they were before. I think I still need to do some tweeking, and I need to check out the 480 stuff. My TV is a 57" Hitachi widescreen HDTV, exact model number I am not sure of right here as I am at work. But with the improvements I made last night, I am now happy as can be with the critter, and knowing I can get better out of it is REALLY making me happy!

That upgrade explains some of the problems I ran into! [​IMG] I'm not wacky, that really was happening!

One thing I found with the machine. With the TV's of the sort I have, there is the recommended viewing distance, and mine is atleast 12-15 feet away. Well, last night I was sitting right infront of the TV on the floor playing guitar, and I looked up at the TV, and lo and behold, the picture was almost just as good at that distance as it was sitting back at by "required viewing distance" on my couch! I was quite baffled, and have since found that the viewing is VERY nice from every angle. [​IMG]

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Glad to hear it, enjoy!![​IMG]