What's new

DVI Connection (1 Viewer)

ChadFetter

Grip
It has been two years since I have upgraded my Home Theater. I am reading on this site about people wondering if they should upgrade their TV to add a DVI input or buy a new TV that has a DVI input.

Now for the stupid question? What is a DVI input? What is it used for? What will it improve over any other existing connection I may have?

Thanks...

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Digital Visual (or video, can't remember) Interface. A direct digital link from source to screen. Biggest effect is a better picture on a fixed pixel display (such as a plasma) as there is no digital to analog conversion necessary.......in theory:)

Mort

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
DVI-D is the best common connection format we have in consumer video right now. Since the digital signal from your source is not converted to analog until it is being displayed, the data is as pure as possible. You may not be able to see a difference, it will all depend on the quality of the components in a particualr system. But there is no doubting that DVI is the best technical connection method, as long as it is implemented properly.

If you used component video connections (which are great) the source device must convert the original digital signal to analog to pass it through the component cables. Once the signal is received at the (HD) display device, it will convert it back to Digital to process it to the required dispaly resolution and then convert it back to analog again to display it. The greater the number of A/D and D/A conversions you have the greater the chances your image will be corrupted.

So yes, using DVI for a DLP or RPTV is the "best" connection you can have. There is no real NEED" but then there is no need for anything but a RF connection either. ;)

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks