DVI cable problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ger*Mil, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Ger*Mil

Ger*Mil Auditioning

I recently purchased a Sony KF60WE610. The cable company came out and switched me to a HD box. They used composite hook up. Wanting to get the best image possible I parted with $ and got a DVI cable. I hooked that betweent the cable box and TV. Problem ... once the TV is shut down and turned back on, most of the time there is no video signal, just the message 'Your DVI display does not support HDCP use component instead'. Per the book the TV does support HDCP. When I unplug and replug the box it works ... sometimes works on it's own when I turn it on. I've had the cable company out twice and they say the signal is OK.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

DVI includes copy-protection. Your television has to respond every so often that it is a "Display Only" device or the DVI circuits wont display the signal.

I'm going to move this post to the Display fourm, but I believe your startup/shutdown sequence should be:

Start Up: TV on first, then the CATV box

Shut Down: CATV box off first, then the TV

3. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

This sounds unlikely because of what your cable guy said BUT- I had this same problem show up a few weeks after I got HDTV...the cable guy checked out the HDTV box and it checked out OK...said the problem must be in the TV...when he called in to report finishing his service call an engineer told him that Time Warner had done a software "upgrade" on their HDTV boxes relating to copy protection...the upgrade was remotely installed into all customers' boxes...I showed him the TV manual that stated my DVI port was already geared for copy protection...so they tried reversing the upgrade for my box and bingo all worked normal again. Just a possiblity.