DVI cable length limit

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jerzy, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

I have a Z10000 Sharp DLP projector and I plan to run a 30ft "high end" DVI-D cable from a DVD player. I am considering the Denon 5900. Has anyone any experience with this setup or any other DVD player with a long DVI run that they could recommend?

2. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

I am in almost the exact same boat, so I don't want your question to move too far down the postings. My run is about 25 feet to my sharp 10000.

I will be going out of an outboard de-interlacer/scaler, but eventually - like you I am sure - I will have a HD tuner and a DVD utilizing the DVI.

Ram is one company:
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html

and also ultralink:
    http://www.ultralinkcables.com/produ...?category=bak0

But my local friend/installer says anything over 15 feet is useless for the DVI connection.

I wish people with real experience could comment on this for both of us.

3. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

thanks for the info. Is your scaler a big improvement over the internal scaler of the sharp, if so, what kind is it?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Specifications indicate it's limited to 15 feet however why don't you give http://www.gefen.com/ a ring? This sort of question comes up in say people who have Macs and want to locate their monitor a good distance away. It's my understanding that in those applications a repeater is frequently employed.

5. DavidDon

I actually don't have the scaler yet. It is an anticipated upgrade if/when the situation is right. DVDO just announce a new product. A sort of upgrade to the Ultra which will input and output HD and include scaling options.

At any rate,I would like to run a high quality DVI cable soon for future upgrading because I am changing the room a little. After my room change, it will not be so easy to run new wire to the projector.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've used a bunch of DVI cables, and length is very bandwidth dependant. At 30', copper seems to only be able to support 1280x1024 at 60hz progressive or so (anything more and you have problems). This being said, the native resolution of your Z10k is 1280x720, which should be fine with that length, as long as you have a good cable.

7. DavidDon

The big question...what is a good cable?

It stinks when you buy something, run it, then find out it is no good (or just as bad - something else is better), then remove it to return it, if you even can.

What is a known good cable for a 30' run? Preferably something someone has had a pleasant experience with.

8. DavidDon

By the way, Gabriel, thanks for the info.

And you as well Chu.

9. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

Re: Good cable.

Its not even just that the cable is good, you can take good cable, and depending on where you run it it could still perform less than what Gabriel indicates. I have a friend that works at a cable manufacturer and they make DVI cables at any length you want, but they ALWAYS tell the customer, once you exceed 15ft, you're on your own and the cable's not returnable. Its quality cable, and 20ft would probably work fine, but he's had people INSIST that 100ft cables will work, and he just shakes his head and sells them the cable.

Gotta put food on the table I guess.

Daffy Arthur King

10. DavidDon

Thanks Arthur,

So I guess the question is:

How can someone using a projector take advantage of a DVI connection?

Many Projector installations have the projector mounted to the ceiling, in the middle or back of the room.

Boy - talk about dangling a carrot in front of you.

BTW: I will be calling gefen this afternoon.

Jerzy - you getting any of this?

11. DavidDon

For what it is worth, I have ordered a 23 foot (7.5 meter) cable from RAM. I will post what I find next week.

I hope it's long enough - they have a 30 day return policy.

12. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

Yes, thank you all, I have just returned. It seems that the cable that I have is also from Ram. It looks like it's of a good quality. At the moment, the DVD player that I am using with my Sharp Z10K is an old Sony DVP S-360 with only an interlaced output over component cables. The picture that I get on my 45"x80" screen is very good. I suppose the real question is whether the expence of new equipment with DVI output will be justified considering the 30' cable requirement.

13. DavidDon

I have found that although the onboard de-interlacer of the 10K is good, the progressive outs of my players have been better. It is mostly noticeable on poor quality DVDs. My players have been good ones (Theta Carmen II and now a Lexicon RT-10) both have different video guts even though they are based on similar platforms.

14. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

I was considering the Lexicon rt-10 , but then the DVI issue came about. It seems that there are not many high end players out there with a DVI out. I would be interested in what you would consider an improvement over the Lexicon, regardless of output.

15. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

There are DVI extenders out there that can pass DVI over Cat5, or fiber. Depending on how far you need to go they should work decently. However, the higher rez you go the shorter you will be able to run, period. An extender could probably get your 1024x768 DVI to run several hundred feet. Go up to say 1600x1280 and you're probably down to say 100-150 ft.

Video extension at high frequencies can get nasty, fast. Try running VGA cable out 50 or 100 ft. How does THAT perform for ya...

Daffy Arthur King

16. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The ones I tried were BetterCables. I tried 3. 2 Were the standard dual link ones. One was a single link with thicker shielding.

17. DavidDon

Which did you prefer?

18. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

I understand that duel link cables are unnecessary for our application. Give me more shielding anytime. What were your results?

19. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The dual link and single performed very similarly, with the single being able to carry just slightly more bandwidth (in single link applications). 1280x1024 at 60hz was really the limit at 30 feet with my video cards (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, ATI Radeon 9000 AIW, nVidia GF4 4600) and display (Samsung 240T 24.1" TFT with 1920x1200 resolution).

Your results may vary if you have a more powerful dvi sender or receiver.

20. Jerzy

Jerzy Extra

Thanks everyone for your help, I too will be installing the 30' DVI cable in my ceiling and hoping for the best. In a few weeks I will connect a HD receiver or DVD player with DVI output(yet to be decided) I will then make my results known.