DVI and Personal PCs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David Parrish, Feb 1, 2004.

1. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

I was reading through the owner's manual of my new Sony 60" XBR LCD TV and am concerned with the following description used for the DVI port:

"The DVI-HDTV input terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers."

I bought this TV with the intention of hooking up a PC to the DVI port. What does this statement mean and how will it affect me?

Do i have to have a DVI/HDMI hook-up to connect a PC?

2. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

The EIA-861 standard specifies mandatory and optionally supported resolutions and timings, and how to include data such as aspect ratio and format information.

So I don't think it affects the ability of the TV to accept input from your PC via the DVI. I think it's just a way for Sony to cover their butts in case something were to happen after you connected your PC to the display.

3. David Parrish

Here's some pretty good info on the sibject:

DVI tech paper

I'm still not aware of what the risks are with hooking up a PC to my TV. Anyone out there run into/solve this issue yet?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you were to use your PC to scale the image to a resolution not supported by your display perhaps... ???

5. David Parrish

hmmmmm... I could see that being a problem

I'm just worried they hooked up an antiPC explosive device in there and it's just waiting to take me out[​IMG]

6. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer said the same thing regarding the 15-pin connector. I did it anyway and it (eventually) worked fine. A lot of tuning was needed to get the scan rate right and a couple of times the TV was NOT happy and turned itself off (to protect itself).

7. David Parrish

Once you got it "Working" how well did it work?

And is your Pioneer CRT?

8. Micah Lloyd

It's the RPTV SD-643HD5. I used powerstrip to tune the computer output display properly. Eventually I was content with the results. It was only adequate as a computer monitor (have to check imdb.com after watching a movie) due to the resolution (856x480p). DVDs were fine but I use my progressive-scan DVD player primarily. I use it to jukebox my CDs digitally into my system.

I highly recommend reading this post if you consider using powerstrip to tune your output. It is the bible. It'll help you if you have a TV model that matches an already configured system in the list. It will help you if there isn't (scroll down to the "UPDATE: TIPS ON USING POWERSTRIP FOR THE FIRST TIME" section).

9. David Parrish

sheesh seems pretty complicated.

For DLP PCs can't you just plug them in and go? No need for all the tweaking?

What about an LCD TV like mine? Will it be easy to hook up a PC?

10. Micah Lloyd

Candidly, I don't know. If it were my system I'd change my computer monitor settings to [email protected] and plug in the LCD and see what happens...

Somebody correct me before it's too late!