DVI and Manufacturers Help for Forum Newbie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Richey, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Daniel Richey

Daniel Richey Auditioning

Mar 24, 2002
    I've read things that imply that Loewe is focusing a lot of attention to experimenting with implementation of the DVI input on their sets. Also, I've heard that someone at a show last year saw saw Dish Network demoing a 6000 receiver with DVI output, and using a Loewe TV for it. But when I attempted to contact Loewe (I'm on the market for an Aconda 38") regarding their plans for DVI, or the possibility that they'll offer and upgrade, they not only talked around the question in responding me, but failed to respond to the local dealership that asked them about DVI. As an alternative, I'm also looking at the Sony KD34XBR2. What I'd like to know is this:

1. Does anybody know if the U.S. version of the Loewe Q2400 chassis is upgradeable, and what the possibilities are of a DVI upgrade being offered?

2. Does anybody know if Loewe is planning on re-releasing its current U.S. line with DVI compatibility anytime soon?

3. What about Sony's line? When are they releasing their updated DVI-compatible models?

4. Are there any STBs on the horizon that are A:halfway decent B:remotely affordable and/or C: DVI/Firewire compatible?

I'd appreciate any input that anyone has to offer, whether it be answers to these questions, educated speculation, rants, or suggestions as to where I might be able to find more information related to these concerns. Thanks all!
  2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Aug 26, 2000
    I think you need to proceed cautiously, and this possibly explains why you are getting vague answers.
    There will be DVI output from digital sources someday (maybe soon). DVD, Digital Satellite, etc. However, this will be with encryption, and TVs with DVI but without the proper decryption (HDCP) won't work.
    Here's an article on this subject: