What's new

dvi and firewire (1 Viewer)

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
Not opening the can of worms--but I do have a question. If I buy a set that has neither dvi nor the ieee34 firewire(sic), then am I hosed? Crutchfield is running some decent closeout prices on some sets that have neither of these inputs--I am looking to hold this set maybe as long as 8-10 years--does it make sense to buy one without one of these input sources at this point in time.

I am not even so sure about how each technology works--nor am I that interested. I am more interested in making sure I don't plop down alot of cash and find that two years from now I am excluded from content.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Dont worry about it is the conclusion I came to, In fact I came to the conclusion that it is BETTER to but tv's WITHOUT DVI or firewire. both of these are not so much piracy preventers as a way to control the consumer. dont buy into it and it goes the way of Divx. I just bought a tv 2 months ago, it has neither firewire or DVI. and personally IF this gets me hosed I DONT CARE I will enjoy my TV until it needs those connections and then at that point i will either buy a STB converter or make my own. Even if it costs me more.

Chet Hayes

Agent
I think trying to boycott DVI and Firewire is not only futile, but pretty hard to do at this point. Most of the new RPTVs starting to ship have DVI built in, (Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba HDX). Mitsubishi and Hitachi have Firewire.

And I don't believe the comparison to DIVX is valid. DIVX required the consumer to buy a DIVX player and DIVX media, which in the face of existing DVDs they were understandably reluctant to do. In the case of DVI, it's being phased into manufacturers lines of new TVs and receivers at no additional cost. The sales of all of these is continuing to accelerate and there is no reason to expect that it will not continue. The vast majority of consumers buying these sets don't even understand the issues behind DVI.

I'm not a fan of DVI/HDCP and it may very well fail for other reasons, but I think it's important to at least acknowledge reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks