DVHS Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I'm strongly considering investing in a DVHS deck. It seems as though only JVC has them, and the price is roughly $600 or so. Anyone have any opinions on decks out there, or other decks I should look at?

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Depends on what you want.

If you're looking to watch D-Theater encoded pre-recorded tapes, then the JVC 30k is the cheapest option, followed by the JVC 40k (which can decode DTS), and finally the Marantz (which is a clone of one of the JVCs, but I don't remember which).

If you're only trying to dump HD to tape via firewire, go with one of the Mitsubishi models. Neither has component video, so you'll have to playback HD through a firewire-equipped STB (or via a TV's firewire).

I've owned four of the JVC 30k over the past couple of years. All of them were perfect units, but YMMV.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

That's one of the questions I have. My Sony HD set doesn't have a firewire input. And I'm wondering from what sources I could record firewire? Since my HDTV Cable box doesn't have a firewire output, that seemingly leaves me SOL?

So, would these devices be of any use if they can't output HD to my TV and can't record it?

I'm confused about the whole thing.

4. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I would not recommend the JVC 30K since it suffered from several problems. The JVC 40K fixed most of them but you might want to wait for JVC's new models. The HM-DH5U has a HDMI input while the HM-DT100U has a HDMI input and a ATSC tuner. If your using cable and don't want the HDMI output the JVC 40k would be the best model to get.

As for the Firewire situation you may want to read this. Basically if your cable company leases out HD cable boxes it is under FCC mandate to switch your current box for a HD cable box with a firewire output if requested.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I think I get it. However, do I read the one correctly and DVHS is only 480i on recording HDTV?

6. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

D-VHS will record digital television in it's compressed MPEG-2 form. Whatever that is sent to it by Firewire will be recorded as long as it's within the ATSC standard (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p).