DVHS coming to Best Buy / Circuit City / Sears

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Black, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Bob Black

Bob Black Stunt Coordinator

DVD File has the following link to the press release:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire...hs_retail.html
    It seems JVC is trying to jump-start the poorly received format by dropping the retail price to $1299 and stocking the players with these three retailers. I guess that's good news for those waiting for a player and bad news for the format, since it hasn't sold even the most modest number of players that JVC anticipated.
    Personally, I wouldn't buy another tape-based format anyway. But if a couple of hundred titles would suddenly surface, this format might make some noise.

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The way the press and JVC and the studios have botched the introduction of this product is mind boggling!

How not to promote a format!!

Dan

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

So far, speaking with a few on my co-workers at Circuit City, we can't help but laugh at its futility. D-VHS just isn't going to make it, DVD is waaaaay to entrenched.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Hey Adam What CC do you work at? I'm from Westeren Mass myself?

5. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
  6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

7. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I think this is great news! A lower price for the player and greater distribution will allow more people to see the benefits of HDTV. I've been wanting to see the player in person because I am very interested in High Definition content.

Gregory

8. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

I feel sorry for the sales reps at these stores! It's hard enough trying to explain Aspect Ratios and why Widescreen is better the P & S, but now they have to explain that Tape is BETTER then DVD quality! They will go nuts when hearing that!!

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

10. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Sears in Riverside, CA has had a D-VHS deck for sale for over a month now.

11. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

our best buy has the mitsubishi DHVS deck. Unfortunately the only outputs are composite and firewire.[​IMG]
    I'm guessing that the only way to view movies in 1080i on the format is through the firewire connection. Now i had heard that some manufacturers were going this route while others were more wait-and-see. Are all DVHS decks like this?
    Not that i have any plans on getting one but i have a 50h81 and would be sorely disappointed if this was the was HD-DVD would be. (I bought the TV before reading here about the firewire stuff and by then was too late to take it back). Sigh.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Adam I'll have to say Hi the next time I'm In.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I hope this allows for either more software, or for more cable outputs to provide IEEE output.

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Andrew you can view HD content via the Component outputs. Its been asked and they've replied it will not be restricted in the future.

15. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

J & R has it displayed finally in NYC, and I tell you this is really one good looking format. D-VHS, has upto 50 gigabytes of storage with a recording time ability of 16, 8 and 4 hours. I would certainly buy into it. This argument about how tape degrades is a valid point, but 1080i on tape is 1080i regardless. I won't go into the VHS argument, but D-Theater is so clear and I just don't see any real downfalls to it. I was going to post something seperate about D-VHS but, I'll make my point here.

D-Theater has some real potential here to change how we view our movies. 1080i movies alone should be enough to make enthusiasts jump into D-VHS, but the ability to recrod HD programing from the HD premium channels should make the jump even more attractive. The demo tape played was stunning, it showed clips of the various movies like U-571, Total Recall, etc., I tell you couldn't appreciate more unless it was on DVD which I believe is a long time away. I've been reading Gregg Loewen's reviews on the various movies his reviews alone are exciting enough. But it's the ability to record 1080i or 720p is enough to sell me. I just find it funny how some frown on the tape issue and not look at the fact that D-VHS gives you the ability to build a HD library from the channels available. Showtime, HBO, Discovery, NBC, ABC, cbs and Fox give you all HD programming via satellite and in some cases digital cable, why frown on D-VHS. To me it doesn't add up. My dream is to have D-Theater hooked up to 55inch 16:9 Mistsubishi.

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jerome, I love your attitude! Thanks for the post.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

18. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I love the quality issue. And I'm all for viewing content with the best possibly picture. I'm just not fond on having to obtain the *same* movies on yet *another* format. You have got to be kidding me. As for recording, I don't do a whole lot of that anyway. The whole concept of being able to record content in HD is very cool... but I don't know. If I don't do a lot of recording now, why would I bother recording something just for the sake of recording it and *just* because it's in HD? ...personally, I won't. I buy my movies on DVD right now and that's how I view my media.

*shrug* If prices become even lower, I suppose I'd almost have to give in and get a D-VHS player. I'll just get nauseous seeing Total Recall on the same shelf in both formats.

*sigh*

Scott.

19. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'm not trying to dump on D-VHS, I just feel the HD-DVD is the way to go. While D-VHS may seem appealing to the limited HD market, what are you going to do with your DVDs? Wouldn't it be nice to at least have backward compatability in your next medium? It just seems that D-VHS is dead before it lives. While I appreciate its quality, its one step forward (quality), two steps back (it's tape and IT'S TAPE).