DVE user calibration vs. ISF

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Bill Blank, May 11, 2004.

1. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

How much of a difference should I expect between how my TV looks now, calibrate by myself using DVE and a full-blown ISF calibration?

Also, how the heck do I know what services I should have done?

Bill

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This has been discussed in the past, if you run some searches in the display forum, you'll probably find some threads.

First, with all due respect to ISF calibrators, "ISF" can mean a very wide array of calibration qualities. Not all ISF calibrators are created equally, and the best techs for a particular machine may not be ISF-certified at all. So you can't just compare "ISF" with something, since that could be a very thorough, and excellent calibration with lots of tweaks, or just some guy who does basic grayscale and calls it a day.

The most significant jump will occur with basic calibration, provided your set is not totally out of whack somewhere. beyond that, it varies on how picky you are.

Also, the differences will vary a lot depending on the type of display you have, etc.

I recommend you start with basic calibration from DVE, or Avia, this will provide you the biggest improvement by far, and for the least money. EVERYONE with a TV should use DVE or Avia, it's such a huge improvement, and at such a miniscule cost compared to the TV.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But it should be noted that an end user without the proper training cannot go into the display's service menu and perform an accurate grayscale calibration. So this is the big difference: Yes, you can improve the picture dramatically by using a calibration disc, but when it comes to achieving an accurate tracking of 6,500K at all brightness levels, you're at the mercy of the manufacturer. If none of the set's color-temp levels tracks 6,500K reasonably closely, the most painstaking DVE session won't render a truly accurate picture.

4. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

So then where does one begin when tackling this TV calibration problem?

What services does one pick off of the mighty calibration menu?

Bill

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You access the service menu with a special numerical and keypad code. Even then, tweaking the grayscale to track a linear 6,500K across all brightness levels requires a color analyzer (expensive) and much knowledge. Not for beginners.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I had a couple of Toshiba 57HX82s come in at the same time. I took one and fully calibrated it after a couple of hours. The other one I calibrated only with AVIA. I ran this as an in-store demo for a couple of weeks (wish I had the space to make that a permanent display!).

Believe it or not (and I've got several people that can vouch), the uncalibrated set looked closer to the calibrated set in the standard Movie mode than it did with the AVIA settings in Preference mode! The AVIA settings made the picture look much too red, but it wasn't really a colour decoder issue as that test showed only about 5% red push.

So, the moral of the story is, without accurate grey scale, it's a total crap shoot.