DVE - NTSC or PAL or both ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Manus, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Manus

Manus Second Unit

I've already ordered the Pal version but have come across similar type questions all over the net without seeing a convincing reply. My Dvd collection would be broadly 70% to 30% in favour ov NTSC R1 discs. My tv is Loewe Aconda widescreen which can handle both NTSC and PAL.

So will the PAL disc be enough to calibrate it properly or do I need the NTSC one as well ? Do tvs generally accept 2 sets of calibrations (one for each format) ?

I'd be grateful for any ideas from other Region 2 people about their plans.

Regards,
    Manus

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the PAL format is mostly handle by the dvd player. If the dvd can play region free and also do the conversion not all region free dvd player have the conversion..

JACOB

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I'd think it would only be beneficial if your set had seperate Memories for each format. If not then I'd calibrate it to the most used format.

4. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Thanks for that.I think I'll contact the manufacturer and see what can be done. I'm not unhappy with the picture as is , but I believe calibration with these types of discs can be a real eye-opener.

Cheers,
    Manus

5. Manus

Manus Second Unit

Just to clarify.Loewe service centre say that both formats CAN be calibrated seperately and they recommend getting both discs.To be honest, I wasn't entirely convinced by their logic (eg.they'd never heard of (Digital) Video Essentials and preferred that I hire someone to come and do the calibration for me.

Anyway, I'm in a holding pattern for the time being , I'll just look at the pal one first and see how I go.

Regards,
    Manus