What's new

DVE: HD Basics....Need Help! (1 Viewer)

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
I just got this in the mail today and have been messing with it all day. I've got a few questions tho...

BTW, I'm workin with a SONY KF-50WE610, with that damned "blue blob/dots" problem which seems to be increasing by the day so right off the bat I'm already struggling with that and I'm not about to pay $1,000+ to fix it. But anyway...

1. For the reverse gray ramps test pattern: I have to turn my contrast all the way up and there is still clipping of the blacks. Even if i turn the brightness and the contrast all the way up, there is still clipping of the blacks. I can't find that happy medium where there is no clipping of white or balck.

2. For the 75% bars with gray reference test pattern (the one with the 2 rows of colored boxes w/ gray background): When I get the blue pattern to look perfect, the red and green are off. When i get the green to look perfect, the blue and red are off, etc. I don't get it.

3. This may relate to the previous problem. At no point did the disc refer to the hue setting. Do i need to do anything with the hue? Should i just leave it right in the middle (yellow)?? On the THX Optimizer, they had me tweaking it a little bit.

4. Overscan: First of all, throughout the disc, there were times when certain words would be cut off to where i couldnt read them and I've never had this happen on my tv. So on the Overscan test it indicated that i had about 4% overscan which seemed ok from what ive read on here but i was just confused because certain words had been cut off throughout the tests.

Those are the main problems i have been facing since i started in on this. I dont understand a lot of the terminology on this so that may be why im not getting the results i want. BUT, do take in account that my TV is NOT 1080p. I'm really not sure what it is but i know its HD. Could this be a problem? Should i be using a standard calibration disc instead?

Or maybe its just time for a new TV! What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Do brightness first with a pluge pattern. Not the reversse ramps.

Then do contrast with the ramps.

Go back and check brightness in the pluge pattern. Repeat as needed.

There is no color decoder on the tV really so just do the blue filter and be done with it. Unless you find the decoder controls in the SM ... then you can fix it all.

Must look at know human reference material after you use the filters. These things are not perfect.

Hue=Tint. the DVE talks about tint too. Same Idea as color ... just different color blocks.

Overscan might be correctable down to 2% ... ish ... but varies from set to set. Done inthe Service menu in the MID 1-5 area. Obviously if you mess it up ... it's your own damn fault.

regards

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Your TV's resolution is technically 768p (standard for LCD flat-panels and LCD rear-projection, owing to the size and shape of the pixels.) This is functionally equivalent to 720p and that's HD. I guess it is possible that scaling process may introduce a few artifacts into the image (your TV must scale all inputs, even HD ones, to its native resolution), but I'm not sure if that would affect the test patterns you're talking about, as I lack a Blu Ray player and am not familar with DVE HD Basics.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the responses guys.

One mistake it think i made was trying to calibrate in the daytime with light shinning in from the window behind me thus giving me weird results. I just tried it again (at night) and i'm getting much better results.

And i'll try that for the overscan and check for the hue refrence Mike.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks