What's new

DVDs you regret purchasing (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Leonard Bernstein's score is superb, and the music is even better in its concert form as a suite. The film, not without its flaws, is justifiably lauded.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Lord of the Rings EE
The Matrix
Last House on the Left
The Scorpion King
Magnolia

I used to buy a lot of DVD's sight-unseen. These stand out in my mind as my worst purchases. My wife likes LOTR, though, so that may not belong because it is technically hers.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
"There's Something About Mary". I bought it as a blind buy after some people told me it was funny. I didn't find it funny at all. Luckily I was able to sell it on eBay.

I was thinking about getting "Gangs of New York" as a blind buy but decided to rent it instead. Otherwise that would have also made this list.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I have 60+ that I've purged from my collection and slowly started selling off. Some were films I midly liked in the theaters, but latley I've been so fed up with how bad movies are becoming, I find myself looking at some and thinking, "Why? Just Why?". So I sell em. I still have 300 DVDs despite my purging.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE CRIMSON PIRATE-I'm a big fan of classic swashbucklers, and read many good reviews of this film. But, aside from a grand musical score and a lovely color transfer, I just really did not like this movie very much. Burt Lancaster may be a better actor than Errol Flynn, but he couldn't pull a role like this off the way Flynn could. Maybe I need to watch it again, but it really didn't do a thing for me.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
if I regreted a dvd/film...it wouldnt be in the library. even the milkiest of titles are there for a reason and serve a purpose. I dont blind-buy...which helps avoid a waste of time and $.

Cliff C

Grip
Unfortunately, I too used to make blind purchases.

I regret the following:

8 Mile
Blair Witch Project
Bounce
Cruel Intentions 2
Darkness Falls
Disturbing Behavior
Ginger Snaps
Jason Goes to Hell
Joy Ride
K-Pax
Legally Blond
Legend
Manhunter
Moonlight Mile
Planet of the Apes (2002)
Solaris (2003)
Soul Survivors
Tadpole
Urban Legend
Varsity Blues
Waking Life

I watched these all once, but don't see myself watching them ever again.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
Pi

I always heard how cool this movie was. I bought it blindly, and really didn't like it.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
American Pie

I bought it and thought it was funny. Then my friends started watching it. They watched it all the time. After I watched it nearly fifty times I "accidently" left it lying on the sidewalk, case & all.

John KB

Second Unit
Battle Beyond the Stars!!

There's probably a lot more, but that's the first to come to mind.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
My only dvd I regret buying would be my very first DVD from about 4 years ago, Perfect Blue. Yeah, yeah, I know what most otakus are going to say, and I realize it's a good psychological thriller, but it weirded me out so badly, I haven't watched it since it's first viewing. But since it's hard to find around our area, I ain't selling it. :b

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
Someone mentioned Highlander: Director's Cut. I'd be overjoyed if I'd bought that, instead of shelling out almost $40 for (if you can believe it) Highlander:The Immortal Edition. Sure, it came in nifty metal sleeve, but it has the same crappy VHS-like transfer as every other release of this film, and the DTS-ES logo on the front was out and out fraudulent. I'm glad I own the movie, and I watch it regularly, but somebody has too much of my money in their pocket over this one.

Ian Ramos

Agent
friday the 13th - the new blood
from hell
ghost world
gunshy
k-19: the widowmaker
monster's ball
orange county
planet of the apes (2002)
romeo + juliet se
royal tennenbaums
traffic

i used to blind buy so much, only buy films ive seen and like now.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Paul.Little, I didnt buy the Immortal edition w/sleeve and the Queen cd but did get the same version (it looks like that the best this movie will ever look)and the transfer is much better than the original version and it did have a DTS ES track which was much better spatially than the original. I got mine at Kmart for $9. Now if you had said the original I would agree.
Alot of people have mentioned a number of movies I would be glad to trade for

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I have the Highlander Immortal edition and I agree with Jeff. It's much nicer-looking than the previous release. You probably could have gotten it cheaper, though.

MikeDE

Second Unit
The Disney Goofy tin set. I'm in the minority, but they just aren't funny to me. If I had a digital camera, I'd take a pic and put 'em on eBay.

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead. Great packaging, but kind of dumb to have it if I don't watch it. Just picked it up a short while ago, but don't really care for the movie. Loved Army of Darkness, but this one doesn't do it for me.

Mike

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My Fat Greek Wedding and Braveheart --- bought them blindly and ended up selling them on Ebay.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest regret (so far) is buying "Scream Bloody Murder". I bought it at Wherehouse Music for $5, it's total garbage..i ended up giving it away.
Another regret is "Candyman", just didn't care for it at all..also gave it away.
Most recent turkey is "Campfire Stories", bought it at Walmart for $5.88 and it's pretty lame.

Davey M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks