What's new

DVD's with the worst print (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You're kidding, right?

I have both Airplane! and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on DVD any they look fantastic.

Airplane is nearly flawless (there's a little bit of heavy grain during the opening scene, but that's it.). The color looks perfect and the print is nearly spotless (I noticed a dirt speck or two, but nothing distracting)

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly looks fantastic...for a Techniscope film. The film was actually shot on non-anamorphic 35mm with an image about half the height of a standard 1.33:1 frame. This image was then optically blown-up for 2.35:1 anamorphic.

Grain issues aside, the color is great and there's not really that much damage except for a second of scratches near the film's start.

Clerks was shot on 16mm, so it's grainy no matter what. (I don't know how the DVD looks, but I saw the letterboxed version on Sundance and it looks pretty good for 16mm)

I'd have to say that the worst print is Magical Mystery Tour. MPI might have had not a lot to work with, but Apple could have at least CLEANED the print before transferring it! It's unclear whether or not this film was made on 16mm, but it looks terrible.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also disagree with your choices. They may not look GREAT, but at least acceptable, especially considering the source material.
I go for Metropolis and Ran.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Not counting Madacy or Simitar type crap, the worst prints I have seen are Open City & The criterion Samurai Trilogy, while perhaps the best source available to Criterion, the prints used for these films are still in pretty dire condition.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I thought the colors of Airplane were faded, (which they could have tried to do some work on, and I just thought that they should just release a possible restored verion of tgtbatu.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
I was very disappointed with All The President's Men. It deserves much better.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The worst print I've seen on DVD is "TNT Jackson", a cheapie disc from Brentwood of a 1974 Roger Corman film. The print has vertical scratches running through it, like it had just finished playing at a UA theatre!

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
the anamorphic release of Carrie, un restored versions of The Shining, Halloween, and the Exorcist.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I thought the DVD for The Deer Hunter had a god-awful transfer. I should've saved myself 1.50 and rented the tape.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
many were complaining that the evolution dvd sucked but i found nothing wrong with it. Also, why did widescreen review give gbu such a low grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks