What's new

DVDs with overtures, intermissions, entractes and exit music - help me out (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Warner's dvd of THE GREAT ZIEGFELD (1936) has an overture and intermission...can't quite remember off the top of my head if there is exit music (but I think there is).

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE COWBOYS also contains Intermission, Entr'act, and Exit Music. FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL contains only the Overture (minus the photo-montage on the LD).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think I remember that MAD WORLD DVD has the intermission and exit music, but not the Overture.

For initial screenings, Warner's SGT, YORK, ADVENTURES OF MARK TWAIN and RHAPSODY IN BLUE had Overtures. The Rhapsody in Blue Overture is included on a Warners CD of Gershwin music from films.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I produced the Lser of 1776 and the Overture is not bogus, but edited from notes left by conductor Ray Heindorf. we did make up an intermission music as the restored version of the film was now three hours. All this was done with the directors permission and encouragment.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Looking ahead, the DVD of Branagh's Hamlet should have an intermission. I forget if the theatrical version had an overture.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
25) Greatest Story Ever Told: intermission, entracte, exit music

This film has an Overture, there is a slight pause between it and the main title.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Jeremiah Johnson DVD - Overture/Intermission

and the following Laserdiscs,

The Boyfriend - Intermission
Can Can - Overture/Intermission
The Love Parade - Exit Music
Mame - Overture
One Hour With You - Exit Music
Raintree County - Overture/Intermission
Showboat ( 1929 ) - Exit Music
and
Tom Sawyer ( 1973 ) - Overture/Exit Music.
( Does the new DVD have these extras? )

walter o

Supporting Actor
I saw LION OF THE DESERT, BLACK SUNDAY 1977, and they had intermissions, but the DVD didn't. When REDS, BARRY LYNDON, RIGHT STUFF, GODFATHER 2 played on HBO in the early 80's, they had intermissions, but not sure if the theatrical version, nor the LD/DVD had them either (the screening for GODFATHER 2 I attended in 83 didn't).

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I don't recall the laserdisc of "Mame" having an overture, unless you count the music during the opening credits.

The new "Tom Sawyer" DVD does not have the overture that was included on the laserdisc version.

I saw "Black Sunday" during its theatrical release in 1977 and don't remember an intermission. With a running time of less than 2 1/2 hours, an intermission would be unlikely.

I recall "Reds" and "Barry Lyndon" having intermissions during their original theatrical runs but not "The Right Stuff" or "Godfather II."

The original four hour version of "Heaven's Gate" which I saw in NYC in 1980 (the abbreviated one week run at the Cinema I before it was pulled from release for recutting) included an intermission. The DVD features the original cut; I don't know if the intermission is included on the DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Both Reds and Barry Lyndon had intermissions during their original theatrical run.

I guess it was left up to some theatres whether or not include an intermission. I saw Gandhi twice during its opening week run in 1982 at two different theatres. One theatre included an intermission (which is duplicated on the laser disc) and the other ran it without an intermission.

My sister saw Titanic during its opening run and there was an intermission which is something I'm sure Cameron never intended. I guess the theatre needed to sell more snacks.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Jumbo has an overture.

How to Marry a Millionaire has Alfred Newman conducting the lenghty "Street Scene" overture. Newman and the 20th Century Fox Symphony Orchestra also reappear onscreen very briefly at the close of the film, reprising a bit of the opening credit's score.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think perhaps in Europe, it is (or was) more common to have intermissions in film of any length than the U.S.A. In America, Where Eagles Dare was shown without intermission but British filmgoers have verified that it was shown in Britain, at least, with an intermission and entracte which was duplicated on the laser disc but eliminated from the DVD.

I suspect The Cowboys overture, intermission and entracte are also from an overseas print. The laser disc of Blake Edwards' The Wild Rovers also had an overture, intermission card and entracte which it never did in its U.S. run.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Chitty" doesn't have a proper overture, just opening credits music. It does, however, have intermission and exit music which are identical.

Disney's reissue of "Happiest Millionaire" supposedly has an overture, intermission, entr'acte, and exit music.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"Chitty" doesn't have a musical overture prior to the opening credits, but it does have an extended audio-only sequence before the opening credits featuring the sounds of racing car engines. Omitted for broadcast and cable showings, this is included in the wide screen DVD edition.

Also, "That's Entertainment Part II" had an overture that was featured in the original NYC and LA engagements but eliminated in the national release. The overture was included in the DVD released last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks