What's new

DVDs with Mysterious 16x9 Upgrades Without A Proper Re-release (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Yes, it's lame and wrong-headed for them to reissue in fool-screen in 2003 (date shown on many of these 'releases').

About all you can say is that they are labeled correctly and they are found typically in the Wal-mart $5.50 bin (where they belong).

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Disney reissued a lot of their older titles with new cover art - removing the wide screen arch that ran across many of their earlier releases. For some reason, they also changed the specs on many of these titles as well, without altering the actual discs. So many Disney titles, like Judge Dredd and Metro, are incorrectly listed as Anamorphic Widescreen when they are in fact not. I would check that Parent Trap disc, it's probably the same old non-anamorphic transfer.

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Frank,

Can you confirm that this is indeed 16x9 and not simply a misprint? I would like to upgrade my old non-anamorphic copy.

Thanks,

Bob

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

I beg to differ (re: quality of the transfer) -- the edge enhancement was more pronounced that the actual image! :thumbsdown:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Did Fox ever issue the animated "Anastasia" in an anamorphic transfer? I thought there were some rumblings to that effect awhile back, perhaps associated with the reissue with a fullscreen version on the other side?) but I never heard for sure, or maybe I did but forget.

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm what Frank posts regarding the supposed 16x9 transfer of Parent Trap? I would really like to upgrade my old one if true.

Thanks

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It's possible. Fox actually has done the majority of anamorphic re-releases with a full screen on the B side. I haven't seen this title in stores lately (I really never look at the children's aisle).

I decided to test the 16:9 claim on the back of the Parent Trap case.

I changed the video setting on my DVD player to 16:9.

Then I popped in the Parent Trap disc. For a 16:9 enhanced transfer, I would have expected the screen to be filled and have no black bars. Further, the imaged would appear stretched vertically.

Sadly, the picture looked exactly the same.

It seems as though there is no new anamorphic transfer for The Parent Trap.

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Would be nice if the Warner copies of 2010 that say 'enhanced' actually were anamorphic and not just the same MGM transfer with a WB bumper on them...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks