What's new

DVDs with Mysterious 16x9 Upgrades Without A Proper Re-release (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The Rocky Anamorphic thread got me thinking that we should have a list of all known DVDs that at one time were released in non-anamorphic widescreen and at one time or another were upgraded with a 16x9 transfer without anyone really knowing about it.

What I would like to do is maintain a list and have people post how you can tell a difference between the two so careful shoppers can distinguish between the old version and the new one.

The ones I know off the top of my head are:

Rocky IV - The back says 16x9 enhanced, no other changes.

Back to School - The back actually says it is 16x9 enhanced and has a new 5.1 transfer. It is also no longer mentions the Collectable Booklet.

Good Will Hunting - The difference is on the front it only says collectors series. The old one said that AND widescreen on the front. EDIT: Looks like this one may not be true. Buy at your own risk. EDIT AGAIN: I have personally confirmed this. The versions that say WIDESCREEN across the top Collectors Series versions are NOT anamorphic. If the word WIDESCREEN is not there, then it is anamorphic. I will post scans when I get home.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The Rocky Anamorphic thread got me thinking that we should have a list of all known DVDs that at one time were released in non-anamorphic widescreen and at one time or another were upgraded with a 16x9 transfer without anyone really knowing about it.

What I would like to do is maintain a list and have people post how you can tell a difference between the two so careful shoppers can distinguish between the old version and the new one.

The ones I know off the top of my head are:

Rocky IV - The back says 16x9 enhanced, no other changes.

Back to School - The back actually says it is 16x9 enhanced and has a new 5.1 transfer. It is also no longer mentions the Collectable Booklet.

Good Will Hunting - The difference is on the front it only says collectors series. The old one said that AND widescreen on the front. EDIT: Looks like this one may not be true. Buy at your own risk. EDIT AGAIN: I have personally confirmed this. The versions that say WIDESCREEN across the top Collectors Series versions are NOT anamorphic. If the word WIDESCREEN is not there, then it is anamorphic. I will post scans when I get home.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't aware of Good Will Hunting. I know the Canadian release was anamorphic, but didn't know there was one in the USA.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't aware of Good Will Hunting. I know the Canadian release was anamorphic, but didn't know there was one in the USA.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I cant actually confirm Good Will Hunting, it was just mentioned in another thread. If someone can disprove it, I'll edit my post and remove it.

Hopefully there are others.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I cant actually confirm Good Will Hunting, it was just mentioned in another thread. If someone can disprove it, I'll edit my post and remove it.

Hopefully there are others.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Good Will Hunting is not anamorphic. I had the one with the Widescreen banner and my friend had the other one. Neither were anamorphic. Although I guess one could have been rereleased, I think only the Canadian is anamorphic. I ordered the Canadian release and it IS anamorphic.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Good Will Hunting is not anamorphic. I had the one with the Widescreen banner and my friend had the other one. Neither were anamorphic. Although I guess one could have been rereleased, I think only the Canadian is anamorphic. I ordered the Canadian release and it IS anamorphic.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
Hope Floats, Ever After and An Affair to Remember are some that I can think of that have been re-released enhanced.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
Hope Floats, Ever After and An Affair to Remember are some that I can think of that have been re-released enhanced.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Affair to remember was re-released but with a new cover and (I think) some extras...essentially a bonifide "new" release (not just a stealth 16x9 reissue).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Affair to remember was re-released but with a new cover and (I think) some extras...essentially a bonifide "new" release (not just a stealth 16x9 reissue).

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
don't forget Never Been Kissed...

as a side note, it's funny how Fox kind of went the other way from Columbia/TriStar...

Fox's "Ever After" and "Never Been Kissed" were both non-anamorphic widescreen, then they silently re-issued replacements with 16x9 and 4x3 transfers...

Columbia's "Last Action Hero" had both 16x9 and 4x3 transfers, then they silently re-issued replacements with Full-Screen only...

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
don't forget Never Been Kissed...

as a side note, it's funny how Fox kind of went the other way from Columbia/TriStar...

Fox's "Ever After" and "Never Been Kissed" were both non-anamorphic widescreen, then they silently re-issued replacements with 16x9 and 4x3 transfers...

Columbia's "Last Action Hero" had both 16x9 and 4x3 transfers, then they silently re-issued replacements with Full-Screen only...

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
The Fox's One Fine Day also went from a non-anamorphic widescreen to a dual-format replacement with anamorphic WS part.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
The Fox's One Fine Day also went from a non-anamorphic widescreen to a dual-format replacement with anamorphic WS part.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
More *fake* 16x9 re-issues...

There are copies of 'Metro' and 'Judge Dredd' which indicate 16x9 but aren't.

Buyer beware.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
More *fake* 16x9 re-issues...

There are copies of 'Metro' and 'Judge Dredd' which indicate 16x9 but aren't.

Buyer beware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks