What's new

DVDs with featurette on sound mixing and foley artists (1 Viewer)

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,
I am interested in sound design on movies especially foley sound creation or design.

What are the dvds that have documentary on sound design and foley? So far, I know that Jurrasic Park Collector has it.

Are there any others?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Any PIXAR special edition. They have some really fun sound featurettes and mixing features

Star Wars Episode II will have a feature.

Fast and Furious has one too.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The hard-to-find THX Wow DVD has the "Soundtrack" segment which shows how movie sound is made from the original stage audio, to foley, to the finished product.

It's a damn shame Lucasfilm won't release it to the public.

Mike

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If I recall correctly, the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition has a writeup and video demonstration on sound, particularly the sound of Ahh-nold's shotgun.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
There are some interesting sound mixing demonstrations from Larry Blake on the TRAFFIC Criterion Collection edition.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly, the Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition has a writeup and video demonstration on sound, particularly the sound of Ahh-nold's shotgun.
That is correct. They also have 2 little interviews with Gary Rydstrom (sound designer), an interview with Brad Fiedel (composer), and an interview with Brad Fiedel and Allan Rosen (music editor). There are 2 segments with multiple audio tracks. One of the segments is about the steel mill fight, and has 3 video windows on screen at once, one is the final film, and the other 2 are foley. There are 2 audio tracks on that one, the final sound, and the foley. The other segment is the steel mill fight again, but this time it has 7 tracks, ambience, foley, sound effects, music, the final mix, and 2 commentaries by Gary Rydstrom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks