What's new

DVDs with excellent visuals? (1 Viewer)

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Andy_MT, thanks for the explanation. That makes as good sense as any. :) It might just be that my video system (4:3 32" Toshiba and a high end Marantz DVD player connected via S-Video) isn't capable of picking up on the sub-reference glitches. I know what you mean about not being able to go back, though. Speakers that I thought sounded great a year ago now give me a headache...
Dan

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Pearl Harbor Vista Series Director's Cut
I've been meaning to ask, has anyone compared the regular version with the Director's Cut? From reading the very nice review on this site, I couldn't glean any differences between the two other than extras and packaging. I have the 2-disc set -- I wanted to get Armageddon and Costco had the promotional 2 pack for $18.99 (less than either cost individually!) -- didn't expect much of it but was pleasantly surprised.

Dan

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm still trying to figure out what exactly reference means... I see it applied to all fashions of audio and video qualities, and it seems to pretty much just signify something someone likes. :confused:
It's usually the most flawless possible transfer or audio track that any particular format can hold. A reference VHS tape won't be the same as a reference DVD, which in turn won't be the same as a reference D-VHS tape. If there are any avoidable problems at all, however minor, it isn't reference. Gladiator has some edge enhancement which keeps it from being reference.
Audio tracks are a bit more subjective. Some people consider it the most dynamic sound tracks, but that usually comes down to the film's mix. A romantic comedy just can't compare with an action epic. If you apply the same standards as for picture, Citizen Kane could be considered a reference audio track, despite being Mono.
That's the basics of it, from what I can gather.:)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone seems to be forgetting 'The Cell'. This movie has great visuals.

And my other reccomendations would be:
The Jurassic Park movies
The Mummy movies
Final Fantasy

and as far as TV series goes
Farscape, and Andromeda (ADV is doing a kick @$$ job on these sets)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Everyone seems to be forgetting 'The Cell'. This movie has great visuals.
yes, great visuals, but horrible, horrible transfer. well, not a fox lorber or image job, but for new line it's pretty bad. what happened on this one ? and it's a platinum release. kind of ironic really. new line usually have very good transfers on their platinum range, then one film comes along where it's visuals are probably the most important component, and they go and do a poor transfer. what's that all about ?
Alfred. as you've probably gathered reading this thread, everybody has different ideas as to what is reference or not. you're just not going to get a straight answer. i've mentioned the cell is quite poor, but it might look great on your set-up. just go for the films that sound good to you and make your own judgement. you'll get to know over time where to find the best transfers, like a pig snouting out truffles :)
it's a pretty safe bet to try new DVDs of new films from warner. they seem to be doing some of the best transfers to date. as long as you don't have any known allergic reactions to cardboard.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Be sure to pick up the 2002 American remake of Insomnia in October. The film contains some breathtaking visuals of nature along with the spooky cinematography involving Detective Dormer's insomnia. Since this film is being produced by Warner for DVD, I'm sure the transfer will be superb.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Sorry but Gladiator has to be in the list.

Also

Hollow Man
moulin Rouge
Planet of The Apes
Pearl Harbour

Andy_MT i agree with your views on T2. However, i have been into dvd for two years now and sometimes the picture quality of some movies still blows me away (I am thinking of Moulin Rouge and Charlies Angels Superbit)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Charlie's Angels Superbit? I thought that was just a vicious rumor!

Also, what was wrong with the Cell transfer...I remember it being really damn good

nousername

Supporting Actor
Galaxy Quest is also a good candidate. Not only is the transfer excellent, but it's also a very good movie. In many ways, I enjoyed it more than any of the Star Trek movies...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks