What's new

DVDs with a matrixed 6.1 soundtrack (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Does a DVD need to have a matrixed 6.1 soundtrack to experience a matrixed 6.1 surround? What I really want to know is, can't a 6.1 receiver take a 5.1 soundtrack and "matrix" the back surround channel?

My copy of Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition says there are two soundtracks - a DD-EX 5.1 and a DTS-ES 5.1 soundtrack. I'm pretty confused about that. Can't a 6.1 receiver derive a matrixed back surround channel from ANY DVD encoded with a 5.1 soundtrack?

It just doesn't make sense to me to have a movie encoded in with a matrixed 6.1 soundtrack. Can anyone elaborate on this and tell me what I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Theoretically yes, it can matrix a rear channel. However movies are specifically mixed so that the reciever extracts the RIGHT sounds to put in the center rear

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
That is weird. I was under the impression that EX and ES were both 6.1 formats. Whats up with that?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Brian, First off DD EX is not 6.1. Yes it will create a matrixed 6.1 but the source is 5.1. Now DTS has both a 5.1 Matrix and a 6.1 discrete sound tracks known as ES. I have a DIY EX/ES setup and I can tell you that most all 5.1 decodes and benefits from the ES matrix decoding. Some of the best EX imaging I have got on DVD are not even EX mixes. There are only a few 5.1 sound tracks I have that I have not cared for the EX decoding on. One I just got is the free BMW The Hire disc. It is in 5.1 but at least the first short episode on the disc the EX imaging was just wrong so I simply switched it to 5.1.

I think most EX receivers can decode 6.1 matrix from all 5.1 sources, not all EX receivers can decode 5.1 matrix and or discrete 6.1 DTS ES.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks