DVD's that have both wide and full versions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob Jr., Sep 7, 2003.

1. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

I have a dumb question. I put in "Transporter" last night and it has the widescreen version on one side of the disc and the fullscreen version on the other side. I put the widescreen version face down in my DVD player and the fullscreen version started playing. In order to play the widescreen version I had to put it face up. What doesn't make sense it that when I put a widescreen only DVD in the player the side that plays (without the cover art) always goes in face down. Can anyone explain why the Transporter says one thing and does another? Is this disc specific or am I missing something here? Bob

2. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

The side that says "widescreen" always goes face up in the player (same way as the label side of a 1-sided movie is always face up).

They label them that way (on opposite sides) so you insert it face up and will get the correct version.

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

4. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys.

5. Bryan_Bortz

Bryan_Bortz Stunt Coordinator

When I first got into DVDs this was confusing to me, cuz the fact that it could mean that that physical side is widescreen, or that it had to be up are bot quite plausible.

-Owl

6. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Hehe, I remember back when I popped my first disc in like this (GoodFellas, a flipper) and it started right up halfway through the movie. "What the hell?" I said.

It's all so clear to me now the way things are done. [​IMG]

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

folks,

FOX have done the P&S thing - label on P&S side, and blank on the WS side.

they're a sellout more or less. IOW annoying.

give us separate releases please. WS only with artwork!

thanks

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't think anyone who would choose to watch the pan and scan version knows which way the laser is reading [​IMG]

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

A couple of months ago I bought both the "Rambo II" and "Rambo III" DVDs at Wal-Mart for $5.88 each and was surprised to find that there were two (2) discs in each case, one had the widescreen version and the other had the fullscreen version. The widescreen version contained the DTS and DD 5.1 audio tracks and the full screen version contained the DD 5.1 audio only. Great buys IMHO. I wish more discs came packaged like this.

11. WillG

WillG Producer

12. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Chuck,

I'm with you. Separate discs for each version. In order to have the best picture and sound quality for a feature film, one needs two full layers of disc space - unless the movie in question is very short (e.g., Sleeping Beauty - only 75 minutes). Otherwise, putting both versions on same disc (assuming DVD-9 or DVD-10 format) results in too much compression and/or filtering of fine detail to facilitate compression.

Roger Ebert, who I respect, is on the record supporting discs with the widescreen version on one side and the fullscreen version on the other (he even mentioned this on his show two or three weeks ago). I wrote to him via the "movie answer man" column about the downside to this approach, but received no response.

I know that DVD-18 is a solution to this (both version of the feature could enjoy two layers each), but according to Jim Taylor's official DVD FAQ, the DVD-18 manufacturing process is problematic (i.e., increased costs due to higher failure rates in the manufacturing process). It may be so problematic that two DVD-9 discs are actually cheaper to manufacture.

What about supplements? I feel that they can be put on the fullscreen disc (at the expense of data space, which would result in increased compression and/or filtering for that version of the movie) without any complaints from the viewing public. I know it sounds elitist (essentially, I'm saying that anyone who chooses to watch in fullscreen doesn't deserve tip top picture quality), but it's not so elitist when one considers that one type of the filtering done involves filtering vertical detail to reduce aliasing on interlaced TVs. And given that fullscreen viewers are watching on 4x3 monitors, and there are very few progressive scan 4x3 TVs, there is no loss. Of course that's just part of what would be done to create the extra data space...

I also have no problem with separate fullscreen and widescreen releases. The problem that some have experienced where they have mistakenly bought the wrong version of the film could be solved with a large, obnoxious sticker on the shrink wrap. In short, better product labeling.

-Reagan

13. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I just ordered the original "First Blood SE" this AM from DDDVD. It is going to be interesting to see if they include 2 separate discs in this package too. They don't really say anything about it in the description of the DVD. The packagaing looks similar to the other two I own though. Yes, it comes with DTS, DD 5.1 and Dolby Digital Stereo (Surround?) so I hope they don't decide to cram everything on one side of the disc. It does say however that it is Anamorphic Widescreen though so I am looking at what, hopefully, is a quality DVD. Since this is one of my favorite Stallone movies of all time, I am anxiously awaiting the 09/23/03 release date. I am glad I passed on the original "First Blood" DVD release I saw at Wal-Mart a couple of months ago. It was priced at $14.44 and only came with the Stereo Surround soundtrack. The best part of all this is that I got it for $7.97 with FREE shipping!!!

14. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

And the message as to which side is which could be a lot larger - they're pretty hard to see, let alone interpret, in a darkened room, standing over the black tray of a black dvd player ...