What's new

DVDs that are OOP, Hard-to-Come-By, . . . (1 Viewer)

Yuifai Cheung

Auditioning
There are many OOP non-R1 DVDs as well. I consider that some OOP DVDs mentioned in this thread are not worth having because they are unimportant/replaceable/not enjoyable. However, I understand that there are always people who like to collect OOP DVDs for reasons other than the merits of their contents/technical details.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
The 1953 version of Invaders from Mars.
I'm REALLY glad I got this, as I can't imagine anyone re-issuing such a deep catalog title.....

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Besides the commentary tracks, each of the Criterion John Woo discs have other features not carried over to the Fox Lorber discs:
The Killer: Deleted scenes
Hard-Boiled: Trailers for 11 of John Woo's Hong Kong films, a student film of John Woo, a guide to HK crime films
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Greg - I'm afraid you've been misinformed about Seven Samurai's second printing. The subtitles most certainly are optional, either via the remote or the menu screens.
What has been changed is the disc is now regionally coded for Region 1, and has Macrovision copy protection, and the aforementioned restoration featurette has been removed.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The video quality is fair-to-poor. That's probably why Warner pulled it off the market.
Ha ha, that's a good one Steve! Let's see, Warner had no problem selling that first Kubrick box set... Giant was pulled over rights issues - quality of presentation is not a factor here. Never has been for Warner.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Add these Simitar (a small DVD company that is now history) releases to the OOP roster:
GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS
GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA
GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO
GODZILLA'S REVENGE
TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA
--Especially since all featured both widescreen and pan & scam transfers (with the exception of the p&s-only TOMG), plus the widescreen versions had the original American opening logos & credits (i.e. "American International's GODZILLA VS. THE THING (Mothra)", "Maron Film's MONSTER ZERO", etc.), which hadn't been seen for decades, and probably won't be seen again.
I believe Toho made Simitar stop manufacturing these Godzilla discs, even before Simitar went belly-up.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
The original LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS complete with the original ending was one of the first truly collectible DVDs.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
I had forgotten this one (and never thought that at the time I purchased it, it would become an OOP that in my opinion is a must-have for its supplements):
26. MGM's first release of 2001: A Space Odyssey - OOP; has supplementary material that is not on the recently released anamorphic DVD. In addition, the menus on the MGM version are animated and are anamorphic, whereas on the new release, the menus are static and are not anamorphic. Quite unusual. I ended up picking one up on Ebay a few months ago for a relatively low price - but I have noticed they have begun to increase. The only other way to own the supplementary material is to own the MGM 25th Anniversary LD (which basically duplicates the MGM DVD supplementary material), or the Criterion CAV LD (which has the MGM supplementary material, plus more).

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Anyone remember "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER"?
The original release recieved a re-call on streetdate due to it containing a trailer for the film. This trailer violated copyright and all copies were pulled and repressed with an altered trailer.
Some lucky people (me included) did in fact grab a copy from few stores that broke the streetdate.
Not that the alteration is that big of a deal, but it certainly makes it very rare.
Dugger

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Here are some favorite discs that I've heard are now OOP:
  • Polanski's CHINATOWN (is this really OOP? Why?)
  • Antonioni's RED DESERT
  • Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW (especially important since Coppola & Co. have been calling the original - much superior IMO - version "permanently retired". Unless you've seen REDUX and actually prefer it, you'd better act quick on this one!)
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
Al's Criterion Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks