What's new

DVDs that are OOP, Hard-to-Come-By, . . . (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Last year, I started a thread on what I thought were "Must-Have LDs". It turned out to be a pretty popular thread, and I believe it is archived.
This weekend, I thought we should try the same for DVDs. If this has already been done, I apologize. Please feel free to close the thread (I could not search to see if it had).
1. Platoon - OOP by Live Entertainment; although not anamorphic, it has unique commentaries by Oliver Stone and Captain Dale Dye.
2. Manhunter Limited Edition - OOP by Anchor Bay; two-disc version; although produced in a limited run of 100,000, perhaps there are some still available either online or at local stores. It is the only version where one can see the "Director's Cut" that restored several "never seen before" scenes (although the video quality is horrendous). Both versions are anamorphic - the first is top-notch; the second, as I mentioned above, is literally as bad as a VHS tape that has been played many, many times.
3. The Devil's Advocate - First printing OOP; the first printing has a sculpture in John Milton's office that "comes alive" towards the end of the movie where bodies of men and women are seen writhing together like snakes. As a result of a lawsuit filed against Warner Brothers by a scuptor who claimed it unlawfully duplicated a sculpture he created for a church in the Northeast US, the studio, as part of the settlement, agreed to limit production with this live-action sculpture to 850,000 copies. All subsequent copies were digitally remastered to remove the bodies from the sculpture.
4. Criterion's Silence of the Lambs - OOP; contains excellent supplements, including unique commentaries by Jonathan Deme, Anthony Hopkins, and Jodie Foster. Although the recent special edition SOTL released by MGM is anamorphic and has an excellent picture (the Criterion does not), the studio was unable to corral the director and actors to do another commentary. As you know, Criterion does NOT license its supplementary material to other studios.
5. Criterion's The 400 Blows - OOP
6. Criterion's Salo - OOP
7. Criterion's Seven Samurai - First printing OOP; the first printing is identical to the second printing in every respect except that that the first printing contains a non-commentary demonstration of how the film was digitally cleaned up and remastered.
8. Criterion's This is Spinal Tap - OOP; although recently re-released by MGM with an anamorphic transfer, the MGM version does not have nearly as much supplementary material as does the Criterion.
9. Criterion's Hard Boiled - OOP; has a commentary by John Woo that does not appear on the recent re-release.
10. Criterion's The Killer - OOP; has a commentary by John Woo that does not appear on the recent re-release.
11. Giant - OOP; for a short time, this DVD was released in Canada with a very good (not excellent) anamorphic transfer; it was discontinued a few months later and has not returned for sale in Region 1. I can find no anticipated re-release date for this DVD.
12. Criterion's Robocop - OOP
13. Halloween Limited Edition - OOP by Anchor Bay; limited run of (I believe) only 50,000 copies. Has both the theatrical version and the NBC TV version. The theatrical version is anamorphic and is near reference quality.
14. Criterion's Sid & Nancy - OOP; has live-footage of an interview with Sid and Nancy, as well as a radio interview with Sid, as supplementary material.
15. Army of Darkness Limited Edition - OOP; limited run of only 30,000.
16. The Alien Legacy Collection - I believe this is now OOP, although it may be scheduled for re-release. The "prize" is owning the 5th disc that has an excellent documentary about the series.
17. The Planet of the Apes Collection - although OOP, I believe it is scheduled for re-release when the new Planet of the Apes movie is released on DVD later this year.
18. Criterion's The Unbearable Lightness of Being - OOP
19. Disney's The Lady and the Tramp - OOP; this will be part of "The Platinum Collection" and was scheduled to be pulled from all store shelves by the end of this summer. Some may still be available.
20. Disney's The Little Mermaid - OOP; this will be part of "The Platinum Collection" and was scheduled to be pulled from all store shelves by the end of this summer. Some may still be available.
21. Disney's The Jungle Book - OOP; this will be part of "The Platinum Collection" and was scheduled to be pulled from all store shelves by the end of this summer. Some may still be available.
22. Disney's 101 Dalmations - OOP; this will be part of "The Platinum Collection" and was scheduled to be pulled from all store shelves by the end of this summer. Some may still be available. After they are sold out/pulled, they will be part of the "one per year platinum rotation" that Disney has planned for the next 10 years. All other animated titles are supposed to be Gold Collection titles.
23. Disney's Peter Pan - OOP; interestingly, this title has not been announced as either a Platinum or a Gold Collection edition.
24. Wallace & Grommit - first printing OOP; the recent re-release does NOT contain the song "Happy Birthday" because of copyright problems.
25. The Little Shop of Horrors - first printing OOP
This is all I can think of right now (based on looking at my collection) right now. I am sure I missed some that I do not own.
Regards,
Sam
[Edited last by Sam R. Aucoin on September 09, 2001 at 03:22 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Anything sold on ebay. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent idea Sam, and quite an impressive list you have there.
I have a few of those you mentioned, and I guess there is one more you could add to the list (which I was able to get recently):
Akira - Limited Edition Metal Collector's Case - 2 Disc set, the 1st disc is exactly the same as the movie-only edition (except for the printing on the disc, while the 2nd disc contains bonus material such as production reports, sound clips, and interview with director Otomo, trailers and truckloads of stills. All in a gorgeous tin can.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe: An Evening of Yes Music Plus. The LD is also very hard to find.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
1. Doesn't the latest MGM include all the Elite extras? I know the Dale Dye commentary is on it. Plus its anamorphic.
2. I'm still waiting for the real Theatrical release, the AB one is cut.
13. Both of these Halloween discs are available seperately now.
15. This the 2 disc AOD? If so then those discs are also available seperately.
17. I still see POA box set in stores.
24. I agree plus the new Wallace & Gromit disc doesn't look as good.
You can add all the Charlie Chaplin's to that list. His estate says only his later 'altered' versions will be available. There was a thread about this and Buster Keaton too.
2-Disc DTS Dances with Wolves seems to be getting very hard to get.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
- Any Orion film released by Image Entertainment (both editions of Dances With Wolves, all 3 Robocop films, and Silence of the Lambs).
- Any Universal film released by Image Entertainment (such as Flash Gordon, Matinee, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, Midnight Run, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science).
- An American Werewolf In London - OOP by Live (Artisian). The DVD was released bare-bones (only extra was the trailer) in non-anamorphic. Universal will be re-releasing this film later this month with a new anamorphic transfer, DD and DTS 5.1, and a slew of extras. Yet, the theatrical trailer on the Live DVD will not be on Universal's edition (as the trailer on Universal's edition is the teaser trailer).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
16. The Alien Legacy Collection - I believe this is now OOP, although it may be scheduled for re-release. The "prize" is owning the 5th disc that has an excellent documentary about the series.
17. The Planet of the Apes Collection - although OOP, I believe it is scheduled for re-release when the new Planet of the Apes movie is released on DVD later this year.
Alien Legacy box set was never OOP, and just had a mark-down on the list price to $79.99!! But the 5th disc was not available past the expiration of the limited-time mail-in offer, and per Peter Straddon's last chat will not be available again (and he said he'd made an effort to get that disc available again, at least for a charity-related event, and wasn't able to make it happen even for that!).
The PotA box set was indeed OOP...perhaps "on moratorium" would be a better phrase. But I never failed to see it on the shelf during the entire moratorium period; it was well-stocked. It is already available again, and have even seen that Wal-Mart and K-Mart got a big batch of it in the past couple of weeks!
Also, although the Disney "Limited Edition" DVD series is technically OOP (and has been for a while), The Mouse definately over-produced those. So much so, in fact, that they are giving away free copies of them with the Snow White disc next month!
I can't agree that any of the above fall into the "Hard To Find" category.
Adding onto your list, though, how about:
* The 4 discs from Total Movie magazine's original run?
* The Cosmos Box Set from Carl Sagan looks like a goner!
* Any of the MGM titles that went to WB and lost their "Collectable Booklet" of Production Notes! :)
* The original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory disc
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Add all of Anchor Bay's tins, though many are still readily available:
Repo Man
Evil Dead 2
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (5000 only)
Halloween 5
Two Lane Blacktop
Hellraiser 1/2
The Beyond
Candy (two versions)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

James D S

Screenwriter
Elite's Night of the Living Dead is OOP. The quality of the THX transfer has yet to be equalled with any of the current releases. Also included are 2 unique commentary tracks by several members of the cast, producers, and director G. Romero. Also in the supplement section is the short film 'Night of the Living Bread.'

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Can't you still get the Cosmos box set from the Sagan website?
re: Elite's Night of the Living Dead is OOP, I emailed someone at Elite about this two months ago and he stated it was not OOP. He had heard the same rumour and didn't know how it got started. They did change cases, from that crappy slide out drawer to keepcase.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Add the Army Of Darkness LE DC DVD to that list.
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Quick correction:
7. Criterion's Seven Samurai - First printing OOP; the first printing is identical to the second printing in every respect except that that the first printing contains a non-commentary demonstration of how the film was digitally cleaned up and remastered.
Actually, the English subtitles could be turned off on the first pressing. Apparently Toho didn't like that. They cannot be disabled on subsequent pressings.
-greg

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The COSMOS set is available at a number of places. It is not out-of-print.
Also, regarding GIANT:
a very good (not excellent) anamorphic transfer
The video quality is fair-to-poor. That's probably why Warner pulled it off the market.
- Steve

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
The Beatles - A Hard Days Night. The new edition just keeps getting put off. The plug was pulled on Help as well, although a few may still be around. With the way Apple gets around to things these days - even if I wasn't a fan, I would buy this for the e-bay potential.
------------------

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Regarding the Disney DVD's. They will not be pulled from store shelves, whatever is out there will be there until sold. The studio will no longer sell these to distributors or stores.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wasn't the first pressing of seven samurai also region free? if i'm wrong i'll delete this so not to confuse anyone :)
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the first pressing of Seven Samurai is Region 0.
The original release of The Little Shop of Horrors contains an alternate ending not available in later pressings.
Please note that Criterion's versions of Robocop and The Unbearable Lightness of Being are still available at amazon.com for fairly reasonable prices.
There are also several promo discs, review discs and non-Region 1 releases that are highly sought by collectors.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Regarding anime, as well as the Akira Limited Edition Tin which went so quickly OOP, there's Battle Angel, Lain Lunchbox, and Fist of the North Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks