What's new

DVDs soon? Raiders and Temple of Doom in on HDTV in 5.1 next month! (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I discoverd this thread. Interesting, I had no idea that the HD broadcast was HDTV in widescreen and 5.1 audio.

I don't have the ability to see it yet. I thought it was kinda odd that the Bond films were shown with the HD logo on the screen being the films are older. I figured a lot of people would think it was a gimmick. As I only have regular TV, it was full screen format, so I thought, what's the deal here.

Lastnight, I only saw the Cairo sequence on Raiders and the chase sequence when Indy says, "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go." It surprised me that a broadcast picture looked better then my widescreen laserdisc of this movie! I compared the two and I was impressed with the color and contrast. The red of Marion's pants were so deep, as good or almost better then the laserdisc. But the laserdisc was definitely lacking, looking almost like videotape!

Nelson

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I don't have the HD equipment, and won't anytime soon, as TTBOMK there is little HD programming out. I watched parts of the standard def version. Nice to see they actually showed the movie between the Dinotopia adds.
A little mangled, missing a "god damn partner", and about 60% of the view, but damn, it was nice to see a good looking reproduction of Indy. I have been living with deteriorating Widescreen VHS tapes.
Rumor has it the fourth Indy will have him seeking the most precious relic(s) of all time, the first three films on DVD. :D
Common George, lets see these by the end of the year, PLEASE!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It surprised me that a broadcast picture looked better then my widescreen laserdisc of this movie! I compared the two and I was impressed with the color and contrast. The red of Marion's pants were so deep, as good or almost better then the laserdisc. But the laserdisc was definitely lacking, looking almost like videotape!
I know the Indy on LD is not the remastered version.

However, how many lines of resolution would the non-HDTV braodcast be? I believe LD is 400 lines of resolution.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Visually, it was superb. OAR, and very clean and detailed, with excellent color and contrast. There were some audio dropouts now and then, but otherwise the audio was excellent. If they use this hidef master for the DVD, I'll be happy.

It was hard to deal with the incredible number of commercials and Dinotopia ads, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks