What's new

DVDs soon? Raiders and Temple of Doom in on HDTV in 5.1 next month! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's a new one on me! I've tried to downconvert 480p (from Fox) via the DTC-100 with no success (s-video). Is there some other 'trick' that I'm not aware? I've also tried with some HD feeds (from CBS) as well with no luck.
Troy,

I just did it with 'King of Queens' and 'Yes Dear'. All I did was leave the configurion for 16:9 screen and turn off the 'HD monitor function'. I got perfect 16:9 anamorphic picture via the composite output (I didn't have a long enough s-vid cable to test that plug right now).

Maybe I'll edit a nice, hi-fi, commercial free, anamorphic s-vhs of 'Raiders' when it is on.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Michael,
Thanks for the input. Can you watch the program in HD while taping?
Looks like I may be getting a DVD burner sooner than I want. ;)
Troy

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input. Can you watch the program in HD while taping?
No. :frowning:
The only way to enable the composite/svid outputs is to toggle 'HD Monitor' off, which kills the HD picture.
You'd be surprised how good the 16:9 480i can look through a decent line doubler, though.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
has this been confimed? I just can't find any other info on it! I would love to see these, it would be awesome!

I do have one last question, is there anyway to get my Tivo to record in 480p or even 1080i? I don't think so, but I would like to know for sure!

thanks!

JP

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
How many bits can a DVD recordable hold?

HD content needs approx. 9gb for 1 hour of programming, at least that's how much space HD material takes up when recording via an HPIX card.

Sorry but I'm ignorant to DVD recordable capability.

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
As of what I remember of the Minority Report trailor I saw, it looks like this film might be 1.85:1.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
The BBC recently showed all three films in digital anamorphic. Unfortunately cropped to 1.85:1 and (presumably) in surround as they are not currently using DD.

The transfer for Raiders looked horrid by all accounts – scratched and worn – also possibly a standards conversion.

Still, as has been echoed on this thread – they will do until the eventual DVD release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what they used for the re-mastered, VHS release that came out a few years ago. But, the widescreen version looked great - for VHS, of course. You could clearly tell this movie was restored and looked as good as the special edition Star Wars movies.

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little disappointed that it's going to be cropped to 1.78:1. I have HBO-HD and Showtime HD from Dish Network (unfortunately I can't get OTA channels since I live in Godforsaken, Nowhere). Overall, I've been disappointed with HBO's handling of 2.35:1 movies. Some open matte films, such as Gladiator, look pretty great. But when you pan & scan a 2.35:1 movie, even to 1.78:1, you lose resolution. Is it just me, or do these transfers actually look worse than the DVD versions? If a movie was filmed in 1.85:1, like Hollow Man, it looks fantastic on HBO though. I haven't paid much attention to Showtime lately, but in the past a lot of their movies on their HD channel weren't even true HD. They're supposedly "upconverted" to HD. Anyway, I think movies can look great on HD channels if they're handled correctly. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case most of the time. For demo material, though, nothing looks better than TV shows filmed specifically for 1080i presentation...which is why I'd love to be able to received network HD programming. Sorry for getting kind of off topic here. I guess my point is that often times the HD version you see on HBO or Showtime doesn't look any better than the DVD version because of the reasons mentioned, although if presented right it can look quite a bit better than a 480p DVD in my opinion...although even then the difference isn't just night and day to my eyes.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
As stated before there is no guarantee that any of these movie will not be shown in their OAR. In the past ABC has some what gone ether way. I personally fell that Showtime-HD is far superior to HBO-HD. I'd even go as far as saying that some of SHO-HD's OAR/16:9 upconverts look better than some of the movies which I've seen on HBO-HD.

BTW: Mind you that I not to knowledgeable in this area but, even if a movie were cropped into a 16:9 AR why would you necessarily loss any resolution? Assuming that the High Def transfer was done with in the 16:9 area. It's not like film has a maximum resolution of 1080i/p. I think I've even read that one or two of the shows on CBS are shot in 4:3 AR in then transfer to HD in 16:9 AR. (I'm not positive on that but I will look for a link as to were I read that)

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
It's in its OAR and 5.1, and I would place this in my top 10 of High Definition transfers.

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
It's interesting that we are able to see this movie in the proper aspect ratio with an incredible picture and sound for free and will have to pay to see an inferior picture in the future on DVD. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Was that 1080i for sure or just 480p?
It was OAR which was nice, but I thought Indy had a "God damned partner", on ABC he didn't. ;)
Whatever it was it was at least as good as DVD. I thought the 5.1 mix was VERY similar to the Pro-Logic mix actually which was always one of the best that I heard on LD.
It was good enough to hold me over till a DVD release. :)

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
It was my understanding that ABC broadcasts their HD content at 720p, and not 1080i.
IMHO I find little difference between the two formats. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever really looked for any.
Either way, kudos to ABC for giving us some stellar HD content! Thank you ABC! :emoji_thumbsup:
Perhaps Paramount, Lucas (et. all) will wake up to some nice Nielsen numbers, and decide to give the DVD owning public their wish!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

One can only hope! ;)
Spence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks