What's new

DVDs released in 2004/2005 to show off your HT... (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd start a new thread since this hasn't really been talked about in awhile. Only post DVDs that have been release in 2004 or 2005.

I'll start:

Cold Mountain
Day After Tomorrow
Flight of the Pheonix
Leon: The Professional : Deluxe edition
Master & Commander
Open Range
Open Water
Panic Room SE
Star Wars : A Musical Journey
Top Gun SE

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
House of Flying Daggers - Echo Game dance sequence for ss/bass
Harry Potter movies (especially #2 Chamber of Secrets - ss/bass in Rogue Bludger Quidditch Match)

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow

Hero

Kung Fu Hustle (soon - I have the R3 version)

LOTR ROTK

Incredibles

Star Wars Eps 4-6
EDIT: Star Wars Ep 1 - Pod Race, Ep 2 lots of scenes

Kill Bill 1&2 DTS

Fifth Element Ultimate Edition (picture/sound same as
Superbit version)

Spider-Man 2 Superbit

Chronicles of Riddick

Master & Commander

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to disagree with both Cold Mountain and Hero. At least on large screens, neither look very good. I watched Millon $ Baby last night, it looks quite nice though.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to say something about Cold Mountain, but I wanted to post Hero. But with Hero, at least the audio is amazing - and it has great colors and cinematography, even if the pq isn't perfect. Star Wars Ep 1 has pretty bad pq, but that wouldn't stop me from using the pod race as a demo sequence (for audio)...

But I can't think of any scenes in Cold Mountain that would be good for wowing with surround sound...

When I want something to show off my HT, I pick something that looks great (visually stunning, not just good/solid pq) and sounds great (ie., Echo game sequence in HoFD).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For audio, my vote goes to Dawn of the Dead (2004) The Directors Cut.

That dvd has got some MAD LFE in it! Particularly the scene when the truck backs up and slams into the outside of the mall...BAMMM!!!!

The explosions and gunfire are very strong as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

For audio and video, my vote goes to The Incredibles. Just a feast for the eyes and ears that will make you beam with pride that you invested so much time and money into your system. :emoji_thumbsup:

Another for audio and video is I, Robot. Great image quality, and the audio, especially the tunnel attack scene, will thrill the pants off of anyone you demo it to.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Trying to resurrect a thread that died too quickly...

I don't remember the explosion. However, if you had guests coming over, and you wanted to impress them with how your HT looks and sounds, is that something you would pop in the DVD player and say "You have to check this out!"? Would it make them go "Wow!"

Aside from the size of larger TVs, the big upgrade is from normal TV speakers to full-on surround sound. So scenes picked usually have a lot of directional audio (bullets whizzing/ricocheting, jets zooming by, etc.), lots of deep, powerful bass, etc. Bright, colorful visuals - or at least detailed and sharp - are also a plus.

So, nobody else knows of any, or doesn't want to talk about any top DVDs from last year or this year? Normally these types of threads are pretty popular (maybe not here, though...)

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a description of demo-level audio from DVD File that describes all the aspects you look for in good audio quality:

This is for We Were Soldiers, something I just looked up (haven't seen it yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks