DVD's produced by J.M. Kenny?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I know Kenny produced the Willy Wonka: SE DVD, but what else?

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Dogma: SE

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wonka started out with no widescreen, and Dogma ended up with low-rez avid output for deleted scenes when full anamorphic versions were available.

Sounds like you should be checkig on JM Kenny discs so you know what to avoid.

-Vince

4. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

'Mallrats' and ,if I'm remembering correctly,'The Mummy'(the 1999 version) are both JM Kenny produced DVD's.

Richard

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Mallrats of the "no chapter stops in an hour of deleted scene footage" fame? [​IMG]

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a JM Kenny disc too.

8. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The Perfect Storm. Aside from the low-res intro, it's a great wee disc.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Derek,

What you said is essentially correct- the elements for the deleted scenes were provided on betacam- along with an avid low res output as a guide to assembling the scenes. These were provided by View Askew with the understanding that they would be edited and included- that didn't happen.

Granted there would have been a small expense to do so (I would imagine it would have be only a few thousand dollars since the elements were already on video- no need to telecine- rather just assemble the elements on an editor for Video)-- but what is worse than not including them is the fact that no one at VA realized they were not included properly until they got the discs. JM Kenny, nor anyone else involved with the project bothered to ask if they could substitute the low rez versions- heck, I'd bet if Kevin would have known they were going to include low rez versions, he would have offered to split the costs!

Dogma deleted scenes were just one of a half dozen bad production decisions on that disc (why do the video commentary bits via seamless branching when mallrats did it very well with alt angles?)

JM has passed the buck on both issues (Wonka Pan & Scan and Dogma low rez scenes) to someone other than himself-- which sets me to wondering exactly what a DVD producer does if these types of decisions are so far out of their hands that they don't know about them until the disc is release (as JM Kenny said about wonka!)

-v

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    IIRC, film elements were not provided for the deleted scenes. I believe they were provided with a Beta tape that according to Vincent P. at View Askew would have been of similar quality to how the outtakes on the DVD appeared - not as good as the film, but much better than what we got. Either way, it was a mistake. They should not have used low-res Avid output.

Regards,

11. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I believe J.M. also worked on the M*A*S*H: FIVE-STAR DVD.