DVDs on PC vs. seperate LCD HDTV w/ player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeremyShep, Jun 14, 2004.

1. JeremyShep

JeremyShep Auditioning

Right now I watch DVDs on my PC mostly. I use a Toshiba DVD drive and a NEC 22" monitor. The CRT monitor is top of the line, but I've been thinking of getting a 22" Samsung LCD that is HDTV-ready and adding a V Bravo D2 player to it. Which picture is going to be superior?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The CRT for sure....

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The CRT for sure....

4. JeremyShep

JeremyShep Auditioning

A CRT monitor that is using an analog signal with a $30 PC DVD-ROM drive is going to have a better picture than a $1500 LCD with a digital signal and a DVD player that upconverts to 1080?

Sorry to sound skeptical, but I just want to make sure.

5. JeremyShep

JeremyShep Auditioning

A CRT monitor that is using an analog signal with a $30 PC DVD-ROM drive is going to have a better picture than a $1500 LCD with a digital signal and a DVD player that upconverts to 1080?

Sorry to sound skeptical, but I just want to make sure.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

A good HTPC is a superior source, and a CRT monitor is going to be a WAY superior monitor. So there really is no contest....

And seeing as it's a 22in LCD, I am assuming it's a flat-panel LCD, which is even worse than like a projection LCD, which might be preferred if it were way bigger than the CRT monitor, but since we're dealing the same size, the CRT monitor will be far superior. Probably has far higher resolution capabilities as well, not to mention it will have superior contrast, blacks, colors, and less visible pixel elements.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

A good HTPC is a superior source, and a CRT monitor is going to be a WAY superior monitor. So there really is no contest....

And seeing as it's a 22in LCD, I am assuming it's a flat-panel LCD, which is even worse than like a projection LCD, which might be preferred if it were way bigger than the CRT monitor, but since we're dealing the same size, the CRT monitor will be far superior. Probably has far higher resolution capabilities as well, not to mention it will have superior contrast, blacks, colors, and less visible pixel elements.