DVDs on my Samsung DLP look like crap

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shane Morales, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

[Edit]
    I added this bit here because it turns out I'm just a dumbass. I switched to s-video cables and there was a VAST improvement. Guess the A120 is progressive on the component output. Apparently it really sucks too.
    [/Edit]

My 56" Samsung DLP TV was delivered today. First thing I noticed when I started up a DVD was "Geez, that looks grainy". I was really disappointed. Next thing was "Geez, that looks like crap!". I don't know what it is. XBOX looks great on it, but DVDs are just grainy as hell. I've tried LotR, Conan (special ed), and Starship Poopers.

I'm using an old Panasonic A120 DVD player with Beldin component cables running through a Denon 3803 - I'll be getting the Samsung DVI player in September. Is it the DVD player? At first I thought I was sitting too close (10'), but XBOX stuff looks just fine on it.

Here's the thing- I'm pretty sure my DVD player is non-progressive. I don't know for sure, but it's pretty old so I think it's interlace only. It's been said many times here that the Samsung DLPs look better when passed an interlaced signal. If so, I'm thinking something's gotta be really wrong cause DVDs on my TV look just plain bad.

Any suggestions or comments to help me out? Granted, I'm only living with the Panasonic for three more weeks, but it just seems to me that the image should be much, much better than it currently is.

Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That old Panasonic player is not a progressive-scan unit; it was on the market before there were any prog-scan players available (the first prog-scan machine — also a Panasonic — appeared in 2000).

If you get a prog-scan player, connect it directly to the wideband component inputs on the Samsung. That, along with 2:3 pulldown detection, will result in a much smoother image.

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. No wonder it looked it so bad.