What's new

DVD's on a 4K TV? (1 Viewer)

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Is anyone using a DVD player with an analog video input into the 4K TV to watch DVD's?

Or does using a Blu-Ray/4K player with an HDMI input make the DVD's look the best?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I really appreciate all the great feedback and ideas I've gotten here. I'll always prefer the look of a CRT but unfortunately it's not being made anymore and it's time for me to move forward. LED TV's have gotten a lot better in the last few years and look more like TV's. Years ago when I first saw LCDs and LEDs they looked more like computer monitors but they have improved a whole lot. I do like the OLEDs but the tendency for burn in and the higher cost had me look at some LEDs. I had worked as a technician in broadcast television so I have a good idea of what to look for in a display. The Sony 900F comes about as close to the look of an OLED as I've seen.

Now I just hope my DVD collection looks good on it. LOL

I went with an LED technology set (a Vizio M-Series 70-inch model) because at the time OLED sets over 65 inches were way too expensive for my budget. I have been delighted with the set -- it's the best looking display I've owned. My previous sets over the past 20+ years were a 1080p Samsung DLP (with LED light source) 67-inch, a 1080i Toshiba CRT 56-inch, and a standard definition Sony tube CRT 32-inch.

When I first saw the 55 inch in the store I thought for some reason it would be too big since I sit about 9 feet from the tv but now I am glad I got that size.

I don't think anyone has ever returned a TV because it was too big. :laugh: Seriously, when you are used to a smaller display anything large can look incredibly big initially. However, it hardly takes any time to get used to the larger display, and then you wonder how you ever saw anything on the smaller set.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is anyone using a DVD player with an analog video input into the 4K TV to watch DVD's?

Or does using a Blu-Ray/4K player with an HDMI input make the DVD's look the best?

Can't help you there. It's been many years since I used a DVD player with analog outputs. I actually found my last analog model -- a Panasonic RP-91 -- in my basement the other day when we were putting some old items out for the trash. I didn't know I still had the player. It was terrific in it's time, with the ability to scale non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's. I have no idea what to do with the thing now, though.

My main equipment rack currently has an Oppo 980 DVD player, Panasonic BD player and Sony X800 UHD player -- all of which have HDMI outputs. Playing standard DVDs through all three of them look fine upscaled to 4K -- whether by the player or the display.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

I did try using my Sony dvd player with the component connections when i first got my 4K tv and it did not look that good. So now i use my blu-ray player with the HDMI and it does make the dvd's look much better.

crowe-t

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Has anyone played a DVD in a computer DVD drive connected to a 4K TV with an HDMI connection?

I can do that as soon as I get my 4K TV. I don't have a Blu-Ray/4K player yet.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My computer never gives optimal performance on a TV when playing DVDs, certainly no comparison to any regular player. But I've watched all sorts of old analog formats on my 75-inch 4K screen including CED videodiscs and they look as least as good as they did on my CRT- they're certainly watchable. On regular DVDs the compression artifacts seem to be magnified more plus their limited resolution is more obvious since they were mastered to look "really good" for their time but are now obsolete.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have watched some of my DVD's on my 4K tv and they look decent enough. Depends on how good the transfer was done and how big your screen size is. Jan 2019 I will be upgrading my Samsung 55" 4K LED to a Sony XBR55A9F 55" OLED and I am willing to bet the DVD's still looking ok. Granted they are not blu-ray and especially not 4K blu-ray. But I wouldn't worry to much about not being able to enjoy your older DVD catalog.

YANG

Screenwriter
I'm going to make the BIG LEAP from DVD to UHD era.
However, due to the limited options of UHD players in my country's market... I'm waiting... and in the mean while... been going thru my DVD collections on my 4K Panasonic TV acquired in May.

With the bigger 49inch screen compared to the previous 32incher i owned, i watch more discs than what i do before, with one player set up to output 4:3 letterbox for those movies in WS1.85:1, another player outputs in 16:9 widescreen. Both to achieve same heights of images when different movies played.

Just this last weekend alone, I had gone thru few of the comedies in 1.85:1 i owned.
With HLG(hybrid?) HDR, I enjoyed numbers of transfers with those slightly darker scenes which cannot be presented with the previous TVs i owned!

YANG

Screenwriter
If you like the CRT look, you're probably better off looking at OLEDs...
Movies in widescreen on any digital formats certainly looks great on OLED screens. However, not all player can offer zoom in while playing feature to allow user to fill up the screen when playing 2.4(or 2.35):1 movies with 16:9 screens. Burn in on OLED screen will be very prominent after a long run of several discs in a weekend...

YANG

Screenwriter

A updated/new generation DVD player with HDMI out will make DVDs look to it's best compared to coaxial yellow video cable, or S-Video, or even SCART or Component Video. I had ever tried to play a movie with coaxial connection to the latest 4k TV and digital out from player to my A/V receiver, picture quality is not as good as CRT in the past, or lower resolution 28incher LCD TV which was my first flat screen TV to own.
Lip sync is terrible as well on current 4k TV if i am relying on optical audio out from my player to the AV receiver... I wonder was there a latency in coaxial video connection?

Both my players, a PHILIPS BluRay player and a PANASONIC DVD recorder with 1080p upscale HDMI output are both set to output in 720p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks