What's new

DVD's obsolete in 5-10 years? (1 Viewer)

WillardK

Second Unit
The movie studios are supporting VoD precisely because they do not want consumers to be able to own movies.
Own "copies" might be a better way to put it. Like the other poster, I think the concept of "owning" films gets blown a little out of proportion at times by collectors. I think the intention of VOD is basically to replicate a rental experience only with more convenience. Same price, same ability to watch within a day or two, same ability to fast forward/rewind, same ability to watch whatever content is included (extras/commentary). That's my guess anyway.

The pipe dream part of my 'future-vision' posted yesterday is probably the ability to legally archive. This is where DVD might continue to be happily marketed by the studios.

Search the boards for threads on "how many DVD's do you REALLY rewatch," or "how many DVD's have you not watched at all," or "how many DVD extras have you not watched" and one of my favorites... "how do you store your DVD's?" I sense that for most, a combination of VOD and DVD would not be a bad thing at all.

added: and what about double-dipping? See the latest version on VOD or buy it, only having to buy again when an even newer version is released?

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
Well, DVD did become obsolete as a format in 1998 when HDTV was introduced. Since then, any home video format that doesn't do HD isn't good enough.

I could be wrong. Maybe there are people who actually like watching Alias in 480i.

Charlie

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
as for cable and dsl being slower than a t-1 I consistantly get 2 - 2.4 Mbps on my cable which is much faster than a t1's 1.5, DSL yes is slower than a t-1 but most cable is faster.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
DVD may not live up to your expectations, but that hardly makes it obsolete.

Ob"so*lete, a. [L. obsoletus, p. p. of obsolescere.
See {Obsolescent}.]
1. No longer in use; gone into disuse; disused; neglected;
as, an obsolete word; an obsolete statute;

Perhaps you meant inadequate

In*ad"e*quate, a. [Pref. in- not + adequate: cf. F.
inad['e]quat.]
Not adequate; unequal to the purpose; insufficient;
deficient; as, inadequate resources, power, conceptions,
representations, etc.

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy you are completely wrong about DSL. I download at about the same as you with my dsl.
As far as having access to VOD. My point was that My TV viewing is though my DSL connection. NOt though cable or anything like that. It is not HDTV quality but it sure beats the hell out of regular cable. So VOD can be done through the internet. I get it already, its just that people love owning things, and thats why no matter how good it gets it will never replace my dvd collection. Or anyone elses for that matter.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No video media is obsolete to the viewer as long as they have a way to watch them and enjoy the quality.

I don't even consider my laserdiscs obsolete. Sure, I've upgraded many of them, but tons of my discs aren't available on DVD (or have been edited or de-contented on DVD).

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
We all know that cable companies would NEVER show a movie in MAR, and NEVER interrupt the programming on a cable-only channel with tons of ads
Not to mention the stupid station/network bug whoever is supplying the VOD would probably add into the picture, ugh!

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
My cable company can't even provide digital cable without pixelization/breakup or picture blackouts:thumbsdown:

Derek_McL

Second Unit
How very true ! I've got digital satelitte in the UK and pixelation is quite common particularly when you are making a digital recording off it! Sometimes the analog signal gives you a better picture. I've got a DVD recorder and occasionally recordings off digital TV are absolutely awful and I decide to do it again or buy the retail DVD which I know will at least give me a stable non-flickering picture. Don't get me wrong I love DVD recording and the results are usually excellent but the results depend so much on the quality of the broadcast.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Mark Hastings,

DVD was introduced in 1997. I bought my first player in April 1997.

As far as VOD goes. I doubt I'll ever use it. Never used my PPV option from my cable TV service.

Unless they can make it no more than US$1 per viewing, I'll stay with my rentals and 1000+ DVD collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks