What's new

DVDs + Microsoft = them spying on you (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
4. Move the slider that is in the Settings box to the Block All Cookies option. (in IE)

5. Right-click the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file, and then click Delete .

6. Start Windows Media Player. A new "empty" media library is created.

That's great, you have to refuse all cookies and periodically delete the file just in case.

Why don't they just remove the privacy invasion and release a patch. Obviously they want to gather info on you and sell it without your knowledge. There is no other explanation for they never documented this.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Snooping & spying denotes actively looking into someones private regards. There has been no hard data to come to this conclusion. Zip. Nada. None. It has been proven that it is possible, but that's it. "Possible" is a loooooong way from actually being done, as anyone in the corporate world knows. ;)
It's funny that there are never big press stories how companies install spyware on user's pc's and actively track user viewing/surfing habits. Microsoft is a much more recognizable target than Doubleclick or Real Networks, I suppose. Makes a better read.
-Dave

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If this isn't such a big deal, then why haven't they told us what the name of the file is? They're not hiding something from us, are they?

Signed, Paranoid Glenn

P.S. .. and least we not forgot the ID numbers on the PIII chips, which were all going to MS before we learned how to turn them off.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft is a much more recognizable target than Doubleclick or Real Networks
This is a non-issue. Doubleclick and Real have been targeted and have offered ways out of their system. They also haven't continued to hide the fact at what they've done.

They're all targets to fight, just because MS is a bigger one doesn't mean I don't also have the other methods blocked as well. Are we supposed to ignore what Microsoft is doing simply because we've already dealt with this from Doubleclick or Real??? Of course not. They're taking privacy bit by bit and people keep ignoring it.

Neil T

Auditioning
What is this, the Microsoft fan page!

There's an expression I heard as a kid that goes "omission is still a lie".

All the time big business does not divulge hidden applications they are lying to us.

The first time I installed Zone Alarm (which I would recommend to all) I was amazed at how many programs connect to their manufacturers over the net without you knowing.

Just because other programs do the same as Media Player 8 it doesn't mean it's right.

I'm not paranoid, I just don't like being lied to.

p.s. Wasn't Kurt Cobains' most famous quote "it's ok, it's not loaded".

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I don't think microsoft was secretive with this technology. When you use media player often you see it saying downloading title and track info or something like that. You can see that it is contacting a server. I don't think microsoft ever tried to hide this feature as you can see it working. I think all that happened here was somebody noticed that media player contacts the internet for title info. They asked microsoft if they could use this for marketing or spying purposes and they said theoretically yes but we do not. I don't blindly trust microsoft but since they gave a firm no without any legalese I am inclined to believe them. Lots of people do marketing without people realizing it so I don't see a reason for them to lie about it. Another thing I believe people are misunderstanding is the purpose of storing the title info in the cookies. I think this is so the computer does not have to contact the server everytime a frequently played title is put in.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
When you use media player often you see it saying downloading title and track info or something like that. You can see that it is contacting a server.
Downloading of title information is one thing. What they did was also secretly upload your information to their server at the same time you thought all that was going on was getting title info.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Downloading of title information is one thing. What they did was also secretly upload your information to their server at the same time you thought all that was going on was getting title info.
I think this is where the misunderstanding is. The list of your recently viewed dvds is stored in the cookies on your computer so it does not need to contact the server for a disc you have already viewed before. Theoretically microsoft could download and view the cookie but they do not, it stays on your computer. I understand your concern about companies snooping, I do to. However I think it is important to only make accusations when there is evidence it is happening because smaller companies you never heard of are viewing your cookies creating spam in your email and go unnoticed because everyone is focusing on microsoft.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
information collected said:
Again, there is proof of what they did and they admit to doing it. However, even if that were not the case... Why am I supposed to not care what they did because some hacker website tries the same thing?? It doesn't matter who they are, big or small, they deserve cricism.
Most everyone assumes that some hacker wants to steal your data. I think people should have a right to assume a company that claims system security as a priority would not try to run a trojan horse website.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Joseph, I don't think we are going to come to an agreement on this so we are going to have to agree to disagree. The article you quoted is one of the articles I read though there was also an editorial which I suggest you take a look at. What I took from the article was where it said that microsoft does not know specific info about a user and does not know anything more then an individual user number. As far as using your bandwidth this is not something that is constantly running. In fact when it is running I believe you can click cancel. You say that we should assume they are doing the worst. Microsoft uses cookies to show title info. The hometheater forum uses cookies and has my email address. Should I assume the hometheater is using these things for marketing purposes?

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Solution: Don't use Microsoft products.

They can't collect your private data if you don't have any of their stuff on your system. HT systems don't need to be connected to the 'net for it to function. Use Linux or OS X for your personal computer instead.

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Would if I could.

I run OS X on my main machine. However, since the HiPix source was only recently released there are no Linux or OS X drivers yet and apps to record HDTV.
What I was attempting to say was if you're paranoid about Microsoft and its dirty deeds, use a Mac or Linux based computer for your regular, everyday use system (ie; the one your kid does reports on, you surf the net with, etc). Since a HTPC does not have to be connected to the net to function, keep using a Windows OS until the software/hardware developers get on the ball and produce some quality stuff for the other systems. That way, you can still enjoy HTPC quality video and not have to be paranoid that your computer is sending your personal data to Bill Gates.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have never seen more paranoia over NOTHING.
First off, the "data collected" doesn't get sent back to Microsoft.
Anyone ever hear of CDDB? You pop a CD into your PC, it goes out and gets the info on the CD, and the data is stored on your computer. Same with this information. It's collected, but not by Microsoft.
As for the TiVo post, again, you're dead wrong. If ANY information was ever sent back to TiVo and/or DirecTV, there'd be a HUGE stink about it. The data collected is saved on your TiVo only.
I really wish that some people would read and understand this more instead of dealing with this knee-jerk reaction to anything that's either against Microsoft, or hints at privacy issues.
Mike

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
As for the TiVo post, again, you're dead wrong. If ANY information was ever sent back to TiVo and/or DirecTV, there'd be a HUGE stink about it. The data collected is saved on your TiVo only.

Do a search. It was happening and their was a "Huge stink" made about it. I'm not sure if they still do it for marketing. But it was listed in the user agreement.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Joe,

You have NO PROOF. All you have is a few links with clever spins. TIVO DOES NOT SEND INFORMATION BACK. They've said that MANY times. It's in their privacy policy. Please post a link, and there's ONE place the link should come from so if it's not from there, I'll consider it irrelevant.

Also, you have NO PROOF that M$ is doing anything with that data. None. Nada. As the ZDNET article stated, people are spinning their own scenarios. Has anyone actually BEEN targeted with marketing due to their DVD useage? Please post proof that someone has.

Mike

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
and there's ONE place the link should come from so if it's not from there, I'll consider it irrelevant.

No wonder folks are willing to give up all their privacy. I won't waste my time if you want to restrict your sources to the "company line."

Suffice to say that if you search for "Tivo watching you" will provide sufficient evidence for that and Microsoft has admitted to collecting the data so there is really no proof needed. If the only source you rely on is the word of company spokesman then you will always be misinformed. It is their job to misinform you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks