DVD's Mastered in Hi-Definition.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Don, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

i know that Sony. mainly has these out i have a few of them. but can't think of the names right now. is there anyone here who can provide a few titles. so that a list might be made from it. Don,

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Pretty much any DVD made in the last 4-5 years is likely sourced from HD. Columbia and Universal have been doing it from the start. Fox, Paramount, Warner, and Disney probably have done it for the last 4-5 years. Criterion has used HD transfers at least since 2000. HD was being used for transfers since 1996, so I'd expect HD is the norm.

Even smaller labels are using HD now. The "Unseen Cinema" box set is all from HD transfers. Now we're getting more 2K and 4K transfers.

3. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Because he mentioned Sony, Don was probably thinking of Superbit titles, the list of those can be found here: http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/home.html

Superbit is really just a marketing by Sony, it's really about bitrate, not that it was mastered in HD. Lots of studios also have DVD's with bitrates as high as Superbits.

4. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Possibly, but I know that on the back of a few Sony DVDs that I own (the 'Karate Kid' films, specifically, come to mind) it says "Mastered in High Definition".

Here is the back cover of the 'Karate Kid' Special Edition DVD released earlier this year. In the specs box, just below the subtitles listing you can see it.

[​IMG]

5. Don

Don Second Unit

Patrick/Rocky F/Rhoq thank you for Replying. i have found them on the back of Sony/Columbia DVDs. the weird thing now is i do have a Silverado DVD that says mastered in Hi Definition. but it also says Superbit on the back of it. and yet it is not listed on the superbit website. i'm going to try and go thru my dvds. and make a list of what ones say hi definition on the back of it and post them here. Don,

6. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

The studio masters might be in High Definition (eg My Fair Lady) but the transfers are always in MPEG 2 480 horizontal lines. You'll have to wait till blu-ray to see a real high def transfer.

Like "Superbit" another marketing scam to reel you in.

7. Don

Don Second Unit

ok here are the titles i found. that have the mastered in hi-definition on the back. 1 Big Fish. 2, Girl, Interupted. 3, Fifth Element 4, once upon a time in mexico. 5, something's gotta give. 6, the big hit. 7, ghostbusters ( Gift Pak 2 Disc Edition )

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    mastered in hi def listed on a dvd is usless information.
    it doesnt mean anything as far as dvd playback is concerned until as has been mentioned, actual hi def dvd is available.

i've seen full frame dvds with this listed as well.

9. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Yeah, like Patrick said above, almost all DVD's are sourced from HD Masters whether it says so on the box or not. All that means is that the transfer from film to video was done in high-def, then the HD master was down-rezzed to 480i for the DVD. Of course a handful of films are actually shot in HD instead of film, but those are still down-rezzed for DVD.

10. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

I don't know if you'll want to see it but "Being Julia" says it is mastered in Hi-Definition. I'd say it's kind of a woman's movie, though. At least the guys I know who have watched it thought so. It is Sony pictures.

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Most everything is sourced from HD (beyond HD actually) masters/telecines now. the list would be ungodly long and pointless, because it would include pretty much any DVD out now, and it doesn't really have direct bearing on the PQ of the DVD transfer at all.