DVDs in Montreal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Patenaude, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Greg Patenaude

Hello everybody,

I just moved to Montreal from Victoria BC and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding the best place to buy DVDs in Montreal. In BC I mostly bought from Future Shop and A&B Sound and occasionally from C&L online. However, A&B Sound doesn't exist out here and Future Shop seems to be more expensive. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

(Moderator: Please let me know if this post should have been placed elsewhere)

Thanks

Greg P.

2. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know where in Montreal, but here in Quebec City theres only 3 options : FutureShop, COSTCO or WallMart (if you can find WS discs, but that's another issue). The others B&M (HMV, MusicWorld, Archambault, Superclub Videotron...) are simply too expensive.
    Here's an example with the upcoming LOTR DVD (all price in Canadian loonies):
    FutureShop $26.99 (first 25 buyers will get it for $23.99)
    HMV $28.99
    Zellers $26.87
    Jean Coutu $29.99
    Superclub Videotron $34.99[​IMG]
    (I don't know the price yet for WallMart and COSTCO but they should be around $25-$27.)
    And be sure to buy them during their first week after release, before the price goes up again[​IMG]
    The price of DVD in Quebec is higher than the rest of Canada because of those damn "Regie du cinema" rating sticker[​IMG] that the retailer has to buy and put on the back of all DVDs.
    BTW, guess where I will be tuesday morning, before going to work, waiting in line to get the best price on this release...
    YM

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Try Metro Video, located below the Paramount Theater in downtown Montreal. I buy 90% of my movies from them. The discs are reasonably priced and the staff understands the technology.

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Another vote for Metro Video, probably the best DVD store. Also, Boite Noire has a good selection of foreign & hard-to-find titles.

5. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Metro Video. Definitely.

6. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

Metro Video has best prices/selection and the staff is friendly.
    Boite Noire is good for renting but don't even think of buying, very expensive.
    Also check www.dvdsoon.com they have very good prices, and free shipping for orders over 50$

7. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Another vote for Metro Video. When a movie has 2 separate versions (P&S or OAR) they usually carry OAR at least 3-4:1 with the P&S. Same thing with the french versions of packaging, they only carry a few of those (Unlike WalMart which in many case carry only french packaging)

Price-Wise, in some cases Future Shop might be 1 or 2 ducks cheaper but most of the time they are the same price, or even cheaper at Metro Video.