DVDs from China

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim LaPlant, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Jim LaPlant

Jim LaPlant Auditioning

I'm looking for anyone with experince buying DVDs from China on Ebay. I was about to order the Godfather col and decided to check here first. Any info would be helpful.Thanks

2. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

there are a lot of bootlegs out on ebay, you need to be very careful and knowledgeable about what you buy.

if you don't (know about the titles you want), i would suggest you stick by a reputable e-tailer.

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Unfortunately, it's going to be very difficult (if not impossible) to determine what is legit and what isn't. Don't believe the nonsense about "all Chinese DVDs are bootlegs", but there is a considerable amount compared to other parts of the world. Part of the problem is that even though China is technically region 6, hardly anything has been coded as such. So a region 0 disc will not automatically mean it's a bootleg.

I don't know of any mainland retailers so I can't help you there, but perhaps someone else on this forum can help you out.

Jeff

4. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Again, that's true of Japan and Hong Kong but I think his original question was how you check for discs from China.
    Jeff

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Hong Kong is part of China

The red light of WARNING is what I'm referring to. Pulp Fiction has different licensors worldwide, many of whom are NOT major studios (Fox, Paramount etc) because it was made back when Miramax was still pretty small. The 3 Colors is NOT a major title in this context, and neither is "the last emperor"

There will never be legit R0 Star Wars, Indy, Godfather, Superman, James Bond etc etc etc

8. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

I go to Hong Kong frequently and buy a bunch of dvds each time. One way to know if a certain disk is bootleg or not, is by the store that's selling it.

In Hong Kong, the larger stores wouldn't sell bootlegs. And there are a group of smaller stores that sell nothing but bootlegs. by browing these stores over time, one gets a pretty good idea what's bootleg and what's not.

YOu can also tell by reading the covers, but that's getting harder for the print jobs on the bootleg packagings are getting better, sometimes exceeding the quality of the official releases. Although one can still tell from the mistakes on the licensing and studio information on the covers.

Back to Jim's original post, dvds from ebay are a big risk if you are not well informed. Do your homework is the only safe way.

9. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Jeff (Adkins this time [​IMG]): Could you tell me some more about that Last Emperor disc? It is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I've been waiting ages for it to come out in anamorphic. If you've already received it, can you tell me some more about the quality of the video/audio, confirm whether it's anamorphic, etc.? Also, is it the original or the extended cut? Finally, of course, I'd be interested in where best to get it from. [​IMG] Thanks!

10. Frederic_A

Hmm, I'm pretty sceptical, actually. The "Last Emperor" (subtitled "PU YI'S LATTER LIFE") listed on HK Flix and Yes Asia turns out to be a different film altogether, originally in Mandarin and with an all-Chinese cast. Other than that, Yes Asia has Bertolucci's film, but only on VCD. Are you sure you've got the right film?

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    No, this is most certainly Bertolucci's. We had a long discussion about the disc in this thread.
    In short, the theatrical cut is anamorphic and goregous. The director's cut appears to be the same transfer as the Artisan disc, which is pretty lousy. If you don't mind the theatrical cut, it's a great disc to own. It's coded Region 0 also, so anyone can play it.
    Jeff

12. Frederic_A

Thanks, Jeff! I'm very happy to hear that. Sorry about my having doubts - it seems like they don't sell the disc in China. I will probably order it from DVDAsian, if I don't find it anywhere closer to here. The director's cut was the last that I saw, but I also liked the theatrical cut.

Are the extras worth the comparatively high price? Also, the audio seems to be Dolby 2.0. Is it as good as the transfer?

13. Duane C

Duane C Auditioning

removed by administrator.