What's new

DVD's for 7.50 each. Scam or good bargain? (On Ebay) (1 Viewer)

ArtV

Grip
[ACTIVE E-BAY LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN. DO NOT REPOST.]
It seems to me that this deal is a bargain. But is there an underlying scam that I'm not seeing?
And what about other auctions where they claim to be selling dvd's for 1.40 each?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
From the auction:

IN ORDER TO SAVE ON COST AND PASS THE SAVING ON TO THE CUSTOMER, WE HAVE PURCHASED THE BRAND NEW FACTORY DVD DISCS AND COVER ART DIRECTLY FROM THE MANUFACTURER, THEN SEALED THEM IN NEW DVD CASES.
Uh, yeah, lots of studios sell caseless, brand new DVDs along with cover art to eBay dealers.

Sounds like these are either bootlegs or returns that are re-sealed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
More than likely they're hot discs that were fenced for a few bucks apiece. If someone is shoplifting DVDs they typically just steal the disc.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'd guess they are bootlegs with cruddy cover art. I unknowingly bought from a seller who got a big shipment like this and sold them off one by one. They were all fakes, and I got screwed.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
He's got pretty horrible feedback, but more from slow delivery then quality of product. I think you'd be better off going to Blockbuster & buying previously viewed.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
He does not sell bootlegs, just junkie dvds. most of the dvds he sells are box sets of some of the worst movies/transfers you`ve ever seen. A local new/used book store in my area cares the same box sets of 10 movies for $10 they come on 2-5 discs per box.

Also he has over 1000 negative feedbacks. and if you look at the replys he has left as responses he`s not a polite ebayer.

Also he seems to work like this...If you buy from him he will not leave you a positive feedback untill you leave him a positive first. If you leave a negative he will leave you one too, and blast your comments on his section. If you don`t leave a feedback he`ll leave a negative on the 90th day. Alot of people out there don`t want there feedbacks tarnished with a negative so they choose to just let it go. Its too bad other wise I`m sure his negatives would be alot higher.

I myself have never had a transaction with him, I was just asked by a friend to do some research on him.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
You can't even choose the titles, he'll drop you some random crap that no one buys, you'll end up having say 10 DVDs for 15 dollars but all 10 of them so crappy you don't want to even watch them once, so instead go and spend these 15 dollars at DeepDiscountDVD or Amazon.ca and buy 1 good disc you know you'll like.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
His feedback speaks for itself. With all of the sellers out there why would you even consider buying from someone who has 300+ negative or neutral responses?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'd definitely steer clear. At least two of the films in his list ARE bootlegs. My bullshit detector went into the red the second I saw titles such as Auto-Focus and Schindler's List, both of which aren't currently available on DVD.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I think his feedback listed as neutral from this page pretty much says it all:

into-the-mystique(82)
Nov-30-02 18:05:05 PST

Neutral : slow shipping, seller lost track of payment, movies unheard of, otherwise ok

Ned

Supporting Actor
Reading the seller's feedback is very funny. People knowingly bid on movies that cost nearly nothing (75 cents to 1.49 each) and then cry foul when the titles are total crap. Who expects Shrek and Saving Private Ryan when you buy like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks