dvd's demonstrating the superiority of progressive scan dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

With my Toshiba 50h81, I am using my Yamaha 796 dvd player. This is not a progressive scan player. So far I have not seen anything wrong with the picture. The thing is, I don't know exactly what is inferior about the picture on an interlaced player. Can someone provide an example or 2 of what to look for on certain dvd's? Something that would obviously look better on a progressive scan player. Below is the link to my dvd's. It would be helpful to go with something I already have, but if there is a good example that is really clear, I could rent it.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Saving Private Ryan, when Mrs. Ryan receives the news that she's lost all but one of her sons. Watch the grille work on the automobile that approaches the farm. On many setups, it's a flickering distraction, but in progressive scan, it's stable (at least on my setup).
    Star Trek: First Contact, when the Enterprise first appears. As it flies toward the viewer and begins leaving the frame toward the left, watch the deflector dish. It's much same phenomenon as with the grille work above.
    Your Toshiba monitor is a newer model than mine, so its line doubler might do a better job on these scenes than the one in my TW65H80. But I see a big difference. The superiority of progressive scan comes from numerous tiny improvements to the picture, not all of them as noticeable as the two examples above.
    M.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

My PT-47 HD set does 3:2 and line doubling. My RP91 player has better circuitry that does it while in the player. How do I know?
    The most clear cut example is the new 2001 DVD. When you see the ships flying in the beginning (orbiting Earth, right after the bone flying through the air scene), you can see that even when my PT-47 does the doubling and 3:2, the ship shimmers as it pans across the scene, just a little bit. It was considerably worse on my old 32" NTSC TV, much better with my PT-47. But when I switch my RP91 into progressive mode (hence doing all the 3:2 and doubling at the player level) the ship becomes rock-solid as it moves across the screen.
    There are other scenes, but I can't think of them off the top of my head and I'm not at home right now. If I find any tonight I'll post again.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Of the 3 movies recommended, I only have SPR. So I checked that out. With my Toshiba in film mode, it flickered all over the place. As the car approches straight on, it's fairly stable. As soon as the car turns, the flickering starts and does not stop. When I switch the TV to video mode, the flickering happens the whole time. So I guess good news and bad news. It's good that the film mode makes somewhat of a difference, but not enough.
    I have been putting off getting 2001. I ought to get it now and see how that looks.
    Stefan

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

In The Music Man, look at Robert Preston's checked jacket. With an interlaced player, there will be some shimmering that goes away on a progressive player.
    I would imagine that any scene in the "Austin Powers" films where Michael Myers wears outrageous 1960's checked clothing would also show this effect.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5